Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What to salvage from a large LCD tv?

Hi, I'm a newbie here.
My 14 year old broke our 75" Samsung LCD tv last week by slipping on a remote he didn't put away and hitting his head into it. The extended warranty doesn't cover a kid's head smashing into it. We saved for a long time to splurge on the $1,800 cost about 18months ago. Ouch. The glass is fine, but when you turn it on, the LCD is clearly and significantly shattered in the top left corner. Is there any Youtube video or other guidance on what parts to try to salvage (and resell on Ebay) before I just put this in a dumpster? If so, what's the possible resale in parts? Not worth it for, say, $50, but I would consider salvaging parts if possible to get more than that.. Advice/Opinions appreciated.
Thanks
Theodore

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Look up on Ebay using the model number off of the back. Get a feel for what most of the listings are asking for the boards. Add all the averages together and cut the total by say 25%. Post the entire set of boards and cables for that amount and see what happens. You can also start the "bidding" at 30% off of the lowered price and see where the competitive bidding gets up to as an option as well. In any case, the entire set should fit into a large flat rage USPS box (approx $13) which will make shipping easier for you too.

Dan
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 15 May 2019 12:51:12 -0700, millinghill wrote:

Hi, I'm a newbie here.
My 14 year old broke our 75" Samsung LCD tv last week by slipping on a
remote he didn't put away

Have you called your insurer? This may be covered. On the other hand,
making a claim could raise your insurance.

Jon
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 12:49:41 PM UTC-4, three_jeeps wrote:
On Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 5:55:52 PM UTC-4, Look165 wrote:
Maybe it can be a magnetic side effect.
The solution is to de-magnetize the screen.

a écrit le 15/05/2019 Ã* 21:51Â*:
Hi, I'm a newbie here.
My 14 year old broke our 75" Samsung LCD tv last week by slipping on a remote he didn't put away and hitting his head into it. The extended warranty doesn't cover a kid's head smashing into it. We saved for a long time to splurge on the $1,800 cost about 18months ago. Ouch. The glass is fine, but when you turn it on, the LCD is clearly and significantly shattered in the top left corner. Is there any Youtube video or other guidance on what parts to try to salvage (and resell on Ebay) before I just put this in a dumpster? If so, what's the possible resale in parts? Not worth it for, say, $50, but I would consider salvaging parts if possible to get more than that. Advice/Opinions appreciated.
Thanks
Theodore

lol, sorry to laugh, but..degaussing? yea, on your 1960 RCA color TV but not on a LCD TV...
There could be side effects from very near by magnetic devices (which cause blue-greenish hues in the picture), such as speakers, in which case, move them at least 2 feet away.
The stream of wrong information in this forum never ceases to amaze me.

English is not Look's first language. He probably misunderstood the OP, plus Nick's mention of "rainbow effect" for the diffuser sheets in his post may have added to the confusion.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 4:55:52 PM UTC-5, Look165 wrote:
Maybe it can be a magnetic side effect.
The solution is to de-magnetize the screen.

Nope, magnetic fields do not affect LCD TVs. (and LED TVs ARE LCD TVs with LED backlights)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Downtoitness:

See if a place called Shopjimmy is still in business, they might buy the boards. you unscrew the boards and unplug them, put them in a box with some padding and they send you a check. At least they used to. And I don't know about you but if I need a board for one and I know one was working and the screen got broken, that is a pretty prime part. But they won't trust you and you can't send them the whole thing.

You could maybe sell on eBay but that is not all it is cracked up to be. First of all unless you sell all the time you have to wait a month for your money, and you might not even get it. The guy could say it doesn't work and send you back his bad one and demand a refund and eBay will give it to him. I **** you not.

You paid $1,80 for a TV ? How big is this thing ?