Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Equivalency Search Tool

All:

If some of you, like me, are forever messing about with vintage/obsolete solid-state equipment, here is a handy website to find out equivalencies for obsolete semi-conductors, that also includes my latest search. Put in what you have on top, and it spits out equivalencies below.

https://alltransistors.com/crsearch....fe=20&caps=TO3

I am sure most of you have this tool already, or something similar, but for the one-or-two otherwise, there it is.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, 14 June 2018 20:58:14 UTC+1, wrote:
All:

If some of you, like me, are forever messing about with vintage/obsolete solid-state equipment, here is a handy website to find out equivalencies for obsolete semi-conductors, that also includes my latest search. Put in what you have on top, and it spits out equivalencies below.

https://alltransistors.com/crsearch....fe=20&caps=TO3

I am sure most of you have this tool already, or something similar, but for the one-or-two otherwise, there it is.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

I tried searching for geraniums just to see if it worked ok, and a couple of surprises turned up:
2N671 Veb 40v
2N675 Veb 70v
T1393 Veb 40v
T1656 Veb 70v
NTE105 fT 0.1MHz

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I generally seek out the actual spec sheet on what I need to replace. I have seen NTE, ECG and SK books to be wrong.

I consider many things when choosing a replacement. If it is a switcher then I look at the turnoff time mainly if it runs into an inductive load. If it is analog I look at a few other things.

It seems like some of these "resources" do noyt consider all the parameters.. They for example had a replacement for an RCA 164589 diode which is a high speed rectifier. I told the boss "This is not going to work", he ordered me to put it in anyway and it lasted less than a minute. That was straight out of the ECG book, and NTE is a cheap knockoff on ECG. It is Nutone, ECG was Sylvania, SK is/was RCA.

The only way I'll take the word of a cross reference guide is if I got the JEDEC or JANTX numbers for the parts and can see the whole datasheet. those engineers don't waste money on a transistor when they could have used the old dime a dozen 2N3055. They get paid to save money, not to spend it.

So when you see a transistor that only has 50 volts across it and passes 2 amps, that doesn't mean that any transistor will work if it meets those specs.

For example, in a Zenith TV many years ago it had a funny looking picture. I found that in the IF module someone had replaced a video amp transistor with an RF power transistor. "WOW, this one'll do 50 MHZ, it must work !". Yeah, it worked but the picture looked like a cartoon because it was not linear in its gain. It was designed for use in a class C RF power output or driver circuit, not a linear amp.

Anyway, I trust nobody when it comes to replacements. If that thing breaks again it comes back on ME, and since the world is not really all that tolerant of my mistakes, I will do unto others.

Here's a project to test out this cross reference : change the outputs and drivers in a Marantz 1152DC. There's a test because you have to consider the Vbe before a transistor turns on and the Vcesat of the predrivers. The bias is not adjustable.

Who do you want picking your replacements then ?

At any time you can make a post here about a replacement and I will probably respond. Take advantage of that before something or someone kills me.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"I tried searching for geraniums just to see if it worked ok, and a couple of surprises turned up:
2N671 Veb 40v
2N675 Veb 70v
T1393 Veb 40v
T1656 Veb 70v "

Really ? Seventy frikken volts ? That is phenomenal.

What can I do with that ?

(probably nothing but it's nice to know)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 13:57:42 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Thursday, 14 June 2018 20:58:14 UTC+1, wrote:
All:

If some of you, like me, are forever messing about with vintage/obsolete solid-state equipment, here is a handy website to find out equivalencies for obsolete semi-conductors, that also includes my latest search. Put in what you have on top, and it spits out equivalencies below.

https://alltransistors.com/crsearch....fe=20&caps=TO3

I am sure most of you have this tool already, or something similar, but for the one-or-two otherwise, there it is.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

I tried searching for geraniums just to see if it worked ok, and a couple of surprises turned up:

Well, it is spring time. Who knows what might spring up whe you plant
and water the geraniums.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geranium

2N671 Veb 40v
2N675 Veb 70v
T1393 Veb 40v
T1656 Veb 70v
NTE105 fT 0.1MHz

NT

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, 15 June 2018 00:05:11 UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 13:57:42 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:
On Thursday, 14 June 2018 20:58:14 UTC+1, wrote:

All:

If some of you, like me, are forever messing about with vintage/obsolete solid-state equipment, here is a handy website to find out equivalencies for obsolete semi-conductors, that also includes my latest search. Put in what you have on top, and it spits out equivalencies below.

https://alltransistors.com/crsearch....fe=20&caps=TO3

I am sure most of you have this tool already, or something similar, but for the one-or-two otherwise, there it is.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

I tried searching for geraniums just to see if it worked ok, and a couple of surprises turned up:

Well, it is spring time. Who knows what might spring up whe you plant
and water the geraniums.

hopefully the result will be a gain. At least if you overcome your resistance to do it. Just don't plant them in a silly cone shape.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 16:23:59 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Friday, 15 June 2018 00:05:11 UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 13:57:42 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:
On Thursday, 14 June 2018 20:58:14 UTC+1, wrote:

All:

If some of you, like me, are forever messing about with vintage/obsolete solid-state equipment, here is a handy website to find out equivalencies for obsolete semi-conductors, that also includes my latest search. Put in what you have on top, and it spits out equivalencies below.

https://alltransistors.com/crsearch....fe=20&caps=TO3

I am sure most of you have this tool already, or something similar, but for the one-or-two otherwise, there it is.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

I tried searching for geraniums just to see if it worked ok, and a couple of surprises turned up:

Well, it is spring time. Who knows what might spring up when you plant
and water the geraniums.

hopefully the result will be a gain. At least if you overcome your
resistance to do it. Just don't plant them in a silly cone shape.
NT

No gain. I planted the germaniums according to the instructions, with
the three roots pointing downward. I then watered them but they
wouldn't grow or gain biomass. I'll try another batch, hopefully with
less leakage so the water doesn't leak out of the planter box.

Is "solid state" the same as "ossified" where everything looks and
acts like a rock?

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, 15 June 2018 01:09:08 UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 16:23:59 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 15 June 2018 00:05:11 UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 13:57:42 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:
On Thursday, 14 June 2018 20:58:14 UTC+1, wrote:

I tried searching for geraniums just to see if it worked ok, and a couple of surprises turned up:

Well, it is spring time. Who knows what might spring up when you plant
and water the geraniums.

hopefully the result will be a gain. At least if you overcome your
resistance to do it. Just don't plant them in a silly cone shape.
NT

No gain. I planted the germaniums according to the instructions, with
the three roots pointing downward.

the roots act as collector & base. The emitter is the top.

I then watered them but they
wouldn't grow or gain biomass. I'll try another batch, hopefully with
less leakage so the water doesn't leak out of the planter box.

Is "solid state" the same as "ossified" where everything looks and
acts like a rock?

geraniums are a form of wet solid state. But they also love growing in a glass belljar, occupying a vacuum where no other plant is present.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The tool allows the user to put in the parameters, and then returns part numbers that meet those parameters. Meaning: It's a start.

I have quite a number of things that use parts, including transistors, no longer in production, and with part-numbers that have no listed equivalents. So, I can take the data sheet from the obsolete parts, insert the parameters into the tool and get a list of other part numbers that meet those parameters. And, then, maybe, I, can, find, a, part, to, try.

And, maybe I then do not have to go to eBay looking for a Chinese knock-off that *might* work. Or not.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, June 14, 2018 at 4:00:43 PM UTC-7, wrote:
"I tried searching for geraniums just to see if it worked ok, and a couple of surprises turned up:

2N671 Veb 40v
2N675 Veb 70v

Really ? Seventy frikken volts ? That is phenomenal.

What can I do with that ?

The obvious case is some kinds of one-transistor oscillators
that reverse the base bias (a class C oscillator, obviously).

It's an artifact of Ge alloy transistor construction, the emitter was a plated-on metal that
(when heated) diffused in. The collector was the same thing, from the
other side of the Ge slab. And the slab itself, the 'base' was the
third contact. So, the B-E and B-C breakdowns weren't very different.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, 15 June 2018 13:11:31 UTC+1, wrote:

The tool allows the user to put in the parameters, and then returns part numbers that meet those parameters. Meaning: It's a start.

I have quite a number of things that use parts, including transistors, no longer in production, and with part-numbers that have no listed equivalents. So, I can take the data sheet from the obsolete parts, insert the parameters into the tool and get a list of other part numbers that meet those parameters. And, then, maybe, I, can, find, a, part, to, try.

And, maybe I then do not have to go to eBay looking for a Chinese knock-off that *might* work. Or not.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Better to feed in the values used in circuit plus a suitable margin. Many times I used beefier trannies than required because they were cheaper. TIPs in particular.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, June 15, 2018 at 7:32:12 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Better to feed in the values used in circuit plus a suitable margin. Many times I used beefier trannies than required because they were cheaper. TIPs in particular.

NT

Ya think?
Yeah, I try to reduce the issue of future failures by using replacement parts that are stronger/better than OEM. Except in the case of some resistors and diodes that seem to have a fuse function.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Better to feed in the values used in circuit plus a suitable margin.
Many times I used beefier trannies than required because they were
cheaper. TIPs in particular.

** I have often used TIP3055ts and TIP2955ts to replace a host of Asian TO220 types ( 2SA... 2SB...etc) found in low powered stereo amps and receivers.

The basic specs ( 70V, 15A, 90W) are well ahead of what was originally fitted and I not come across compatibility issues.

I also like the TIP35C and 36C very much as subs for larger flat paks.

..... Phil