Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default The Kikusui COS5060A is down :-(

Failed in the middle of a measurement last night - no display, no power
LED, a few red LEDs on the front panel come on intermittently at
power-up. The familiar burnt smell coming from the back, but no smoke.
The enclosure felt a a bit hotter than usual immediately afterwards.

The incandescents on the graticule working fine though, and they're fed
off the negative PSU rail, but the positive low-voltage supply is
definitely down for the count. I haven't had a chance to open it up yet
but hoping it's an easy fix...
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2017/12/11 5:14 PM, bitrex wrote:

Failed in the middle of a measurement last night - no display, no power
LED, a few red LEDs on the front panel come on intermittently at
power-up. The familiar burnt smell coming from the back, but no smoke.
The enclosure felt a a bit hotter than usual immediately afterwards.

The incandescents on the graticule working fine though, and they're fed
off the negative PSU rail, but the positive low-voltage supply is
definitely down for the count. I haven't had a chance to open it up yet
but hoping it's an easy fix...

My Tek scopes don't seem to have that 'smoke' option...

I've seen more bad caps than anything else take out equipment - bring
out the ESR meter and do a good run through.

A very nice looking, West German made 220/16 cap in our German Wurlitzer
jukeboxes seem to like shorting out (5VDC bus). Mind you it is on the
/Reset for the CPU, but I'm running into a lot of these axials that are
just turning in zero ohm resistors (zealous?).

Likely something like that happened in your toy too. Tantalums love
shorting out for no real reason.

John ;-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, December 12, 2017 at 12:18:49 AM UTC-5, John Robertson wrote:
[...]

Has that that new pinball game app. called 'Ballz' put you out of business, yet? Imagine making a mechanical version of a pinball game like that.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, December 11, 2017 at 8:14:27 PM UTC-5, bitrex wrote:
Failed in the middle of a measurement last night - no display, no power
LED, a few red LEDs on the front panel come on intermittently at
power-up. The familiar burnt smell coming from the back, but no smoke.
The enclosure felt a a bit hotter than usual immediately afterwards.

The incandescents on the graticule working fine though, and they're fed
off the negative PSU rail, but the positive low-voltage supply is
definitely down for the count. I haven't had a chance to open it up yet
but hoping it's an easy fix...

do you you need a schematic?

I have a schmo for the cos5040 which is similar.

I have a COS5060 and have been using it for 20 years.

I had 3 issues with it so far...
intermit connectors in the vertical amps
bad solder joints
and the HV seems to fade if i leave it on for over an hour and it gets too hot.

and a few bad solder joint
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/12/2017 10:34 PM, wrote:
[...]

There's a "bar-cade" near me that has a couple dozen pinball games on
the floor, of various vintages. What's the deal with the newer games
that seem to use super-bright LEDs for every widget on the table? Like
the recent Star Trek game. I can't even play them, they're blinding,
can't see what I'm doing.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

do you you need a schematic?

I have a schmo for the cos5040 which is similar.

I have a COS5060 and have been using it for 20 years.

I had 3 issues with it so far...
intermit connectors in the vertical amps
bad solder joints
and the HV seems to fade if i leave it on for over an hour and it gets too hot.

Yeah, I was able to find the COS5040 online. Is the power supply
identical, or at least similar?

as far as i can tell it is very similar.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, December 13, 2017 at 1:42:36 PM UTC-5, bitrex wrote:
On 12/12/2017 10:34 PM, wrote:
[...]

Most late-model massive multi online player games like that are good for PC gaming because you can set the graphics and brightness yourself. 480 pixels or even up to 1080 or even 1440 pixels with late-model computers. High gig settings, too.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

Huh? I'm talking about a pinball machine. A physical machine, you know,
it has buzzers and lights and paddles and you put quarters in it?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* John's Jukes Ltd.
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*
www.flippers.com
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* "Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."

Has that that new pinball game app. called 'Ballz' put you out of
business, yet?Â* Imagine making a mechanical version of a pinball
game like that.

There's a "bar-cade" near me that has a couple dozen pinball games on
the floor, of various vintages. What's the deal with the newer games
that seem to use super-bright LEDs for every widget on the table? Like
the recent Star Trek game. I can't even play them, they're blinding,
can't see what I'm doing.

Most late-model massive multi online player games like that are good
for PC gaming because you can set the graphics and brightness
yourself. 480 pixels or even up to 1080 or even 1440 pixels with
late-model computers. High gig settings, too.

Huh? I'm talking about a pinball machine. A physical machine, you know,
it has buzzers and lights and paddles and you put quarters in it?

Blinded by the light? Yup, many are way too bright, IMHO - but it seems
a lot of people prefer that to the regular level of the old incandescent
bulbs.
On the other hand pinball sales are good, and there are more
manufacturers around now than for many a year. Granted most of them are
single game productions, but the new guys/gals have a chance of figuring
out how to design and build machines that people want to play and may
become successful. A dog or two may have been made, but I'm sure their
mother loves them!
There is a world of difference between the PinMAME/Virtual Pinball games
and the real machines. Much like a flight simulator doesn't mean you can
fly a real plane - however it gives you a lot of the experience so it is
easier to move to the real world of a physical pinball game.
John :-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

Naaahh, not me. €˜Ballz is the name of a virtual pinballish game. Its newer more improved version is out. Its called €˜Break Bricks.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

Bricks and Balls is an improvement.