Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default HOOKING UP AMP GAUGE ?

Suggest circuits for linking an analog amp gauge to the output of a 200 amp auto

alternator for measuring output under load. ? links ? commercial units ?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 12:48:01 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Suggest circuits for linking an analog amp gauge to the output of a 200 amp auto

alternator for measuring output under load. ? links ? commercial units ?

I use a Klein tools 400A AC/DC True RMS Clamp Meter model CL2000. Just clamp around the battery/alternator cable to see the charging/discharging amps.. The resolution is good for the 20A range I usually use it for. The model seems to be out of production but their model cl800 appears to be a replacement ($105 on amazon). There are some clamp-on meters on ebay but watch out that they do measure dc amps in clamp-on mode.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 12:48:01 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Suggest circuits for linking an analog amp gauge to the output of a 200 amp auto

alternator for measuring output under load. ? links ? commercial units ?

Do you have the ammeter? If you have the ammeter in hand, you can get the hookup instructions on line. If the ammeter is too low a current, you can add a shunt. Check DigiKey.

In any case, I'd rather not have an ammeter handle the full current mounted in the dashboard if that's your plan.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Not full. A sampling device connected to an auto amp gauge. For example, the gauge may read 10 amps on a full sweep. Is this too much for outside the dash ? How is this done if it is done on a Kenworth ?

The alt is 200 amps above 65 mph.

There are TSD factors using stereo 40 amp fuse, lights @ 30 amps, vehicle OP amps @ 75 ... where quantifying the load vs miles to go vs a positive battery charge is useful. Better than. 'geee whiz the lights are yellowing' .... as too late n that is 3 hours with no aux load to reach white light again?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Suggest circuits for linking an analog amp gauge to the output of a 200 amp auto

alternator for measuring output under load. ? links ? commercial units ?

** Do you still have other people wipe you arse for you ?

Wot a lazy ****ing ****.

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...s/amp-ga18.jpg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, April 22, 2017 at 3:13:45 AM UTC-4, Phil Allison wrote:
wrote:

Suggest circuits for linking an analog amp gauge to the output of a 200 amp auto

alternator for measuring output under load. ? links ? commercial units ?

** Do you still have other people wipe you arse for you ?

Wot a lazy ****ing ****.

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...s/amp-ga18.jpg

PHOOOOM !

why the fuse box connection ?

all ...probably all...today's aux system are separate from the factory computer except for the trailer wiring harness.

The Ford truck computer system is fairly tolerant of low power experiment. Blowing fuses not massive $$$$. EG skip the ignition measure n assume 75 to 100

What I would need with your link is a reduction of 100 amps...the alleged supply over operation Ford amps with 'stock' lights on ... to 1 amp at the gauge. A quality one amp gauge linear to the 100 amps. I assume linearity.

Inserting a resistor ? is this OK or is there a better way of sampling 100 to 1 amp ?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 4/21/2017 11:47 AM, wrote:

Suggest circuits for linking an analog amp gauge to the output of a 200 amp auto

alternator for measuring output under load. ? links ? commercial units ?

I'll try this again, I have a 6 year old computer running windows 7. I
have not any problems in 6 years with it, while typing my screen went
white! Only a reboot brought it back.

This unit is what you need.
https://www.bluesea.com/products/801...00A_with_Shunt

The instructions are here on the last page, it is wired to measure
battery current, you need to wire it to measure alternator current.
http://assets.bluesea.com/files/reso...tions/9322.pdf

If you want to go cheap.
Here's a shunt, $16.00
http://www.allelectronics.com/item/s...00-amps/1.html

And here's a meter to go with it. $12.00
http://www.allelectronics.com/item/p...l-meter/1.html

Mikek

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, April 22, 2017 at 3:13:45 AM UTC-4, The Benevolent Phil Allison wrote:
wrote:

Suggest circuits for linking an analog amp gauge to the output of a 200 amp auto

alternator for measuring output under load. ? links ? commercial units ?

** Let me provide a link for you to follow to help you understand the installation of an ammeter:

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...s/amp-ga18.jpg

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have zero knowledge of shunts. Maybe this evening.

I see the recommendation has company:

https://powerwerx.com/blue-sea-1732-...nel-dc-ammeter

rated at 100 amp shunt. If I add an external 100 amp shunt to the internal shunt what does the meter read ?

what is a shunt doing to the flow of electricity back to charging the battery ?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 4/23/2017 12:44 PM, wrote:
I have zero knowledge of shunts. Maybe this evening.

I see the recommendation has company:

https://powerwerx.com/blue-sea-1732-...nel-dc-ammeter

rated at 100 amp shunt. If I add an external 100 amp shunt to the internal shunt what does the meter read ?

what is a shunt doing to the flow of electricity back to charging the battery ?

The shunt is just a low ohm resistor.
The ones I posted develop 50mV at 200amps.
Doing the math 0.05V / 200 amps = 0.00025 ohms.
So a very low ohm resistor.

Say you had 100 amps flowing thru the shunt.
What would be the voltage across it?
100amps x 0.00025 ohms = 0.025 Volts or 25 millivolts.
The meter is a 50 millivolt meter. If you connect the meter across the
shunt, since the shunt has 25mV from end to end the meter will read 1/2
scale or 100 amps as the scale is marked.
The 0.00025 ohm resistor has no effect on the current flow. 15 inches
of your large gauge wire #2, is equal to the shunt resistance.
The fuses you see are important because if one of your wires going to
the meter shorts, it will burn up the small gauge wires.

Are we there yet?

The 50 mV meter simple measures the voltage drop across the shunt.
The voltage drop across the shunt varies depending on the current thru
the shunt.
Mikek

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 23.04.17 19:44, wrote:
I have zero knowledge of shunts. Maybe this evening.

I see the recommendation has company:

https://powerwerx.com/blue-sea-1732-...nel-dc-ammeter

rated at 100 amp shunt. If I add an external 100 amp shunt to the internal shunt what does the meter read ?

what is a shunt doing to the flow of electricity back to charging the battery ?

why should you add a second resistor?
Just read the voltage across the the one already there.
You cannot disturb anything by adding your voltage meter to it.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 4/23/2017 5:34 PM, Sjouke Burry wrote:
On 23.04.17 19:44, wrote:
I have zero knowledge of shunts. Maybe this evening.

I see the recommendation has company:

https://powerwerx.com/blue-sea-1732-...nel-dc-ammeter

rated at 100 amp shunt. If I add an external 100 amp shunt to the
internal shunt what does the meter read ?

what is a shunt doing to the flow of electricity back to charging the
battery ?

why should you add a second resistor?
Just read the voltage across the the one already there.
You cannot disturb anything by adding your voltage meter to it.

What resistor is already there?
What are you looking at?
Mikek

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 4/21/2017 2:56 PM, Bennett wrote:
On 4/21/2017 1:14 PM, wrote:
On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 12:48:01 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Suggest circuits for linking an analog amp gauge to the output of a
200 amp auto
alternator for measuring output under load. ? links ? commercial
units ?

Do you have the ammeter? If you have the ammeter in hand, you can get
the hookup instructions on line. If the ammeter is too low a current,
you can add a shunt. Check DigiKey.

In any case, I'd rather not have an ammeter handle the full current
mounted in the dashboard if that's your plan.

Or just buy something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=14220711...pp=true&chn=ps
and hook it up in series with the alternator, i.e., in between the
alternator and the heavy wire which presently comes from the alternator.
If the needle goes in the wrong direction, just reverse the wiring.

Might want to read the whole listing, to wit:
Note: need a 75mV shunt(Here Not Included) so that you can successfully
use this Analog Ammeter.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 4/23/2017 10:44 AM, wrote:
I have zero knowledge of shunts. Maybe this evening.

I see the recommendation has company:

https://powerwerx.com/blue-sea-1732-...nel-dc-ammeter

rated at 100 amp shunt. If I add an external 100 amp shunt to the internal shunt what does the meter read ?

what is a shunt doing to the flow of electricity back to charging the battery ?

Problem is that you can't do it.
The external 100A shunt resistor is a 4-terminal Kelvin connection.
You'd have to jump thru some hoops to get the parallel resistance
calibrated, and then it would be relatively unstable over time.

Get a 200A 4-terminal shunt resistor and a meter that goes with it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 7:47:35 PM UTC-4, mike wrote:
On 4/21/2017 5:25 PM, wrote:
Not full. A sampling device connected to an auto amp gauge. For example, the gauge may read 10 amps on a full sweep. Is this too much for outside the dash ? How is this done if it is done on a Kenworth ?

The alt is 200 amps above 65 mph.

There are TSD factors using stereo 40 amp fuse, lights @ 30 amps, vehicle OP amps @ 75 ... where quantifying the load vs miles to go vs a positive battery charge is useful. Better than. 'geee whiz the lights are yellowing' ... as too late n that is 3 hours with no aux load to reach white light again?

Not clear what you're trying to accomplish.
You will be adding at least two additional failure points in the system.

Why is the alternator current important?
If the battery is charging, you're good to go.

The thing you care about is the battery voltage.
If the alternator output is sufficient, you will be able to see
it on a voltmeter.

That can be done trivially...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-LCD-Ciga...1%26rkt%3D1%26

In the old days, cars had ammeters. The problem is that it was difficult to discern if the needle was slightly left or right of center. Today cars have voltmeters which tells more in my opinion.

In a 12V system, anything more than 12.6 indicates a positive charge condition. I had a condition recently where my alternator's internal regulator failed and it was pumping 17V into the car. The ammeter would not have shown this quite as clearly.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 23.04.17 19:44, wrote:
I have zero knowledge of shunts. Maybe this evening.

I see the recommendation has company:

https://powerwerx.com/blue-sea-1732-...nel-dc-ammeter

rated at 100 amp shunt. If I add an external 100 amp shunt to the
internal shunt what does the meter read ?

what is a shunt doing to the flow of electricity back to charging the
battery ?

why should you add a second resistor?
Just read the voltage across the the one already there.
You cannot disturb anything by adding your voltage meter to it.

What resistor is already there?
What are you looking at?
Mikek

---

The internal shunt.

OK, you're looking at this,
https://powerwerx.com/blue-sea-1732-...nel-dc-ammeter
not the two options I posted.
Mikek

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 4/21/2017 11:47 AM, wrote:

Suggest circuits for linking an analog amp gauge to the output of a 200 amp auto

alternator for measuring output under load. ? links ? commercial units ?

Here's what you need, It is a shunt that you put in series with the
output of your alternator. You then can run small diameter wires to the
meter in the dash. They carry very little current.
https://www.bluesea.com/products/8019
$113.00
This page has a schematic, it is wired to measure battery current, you
need to put the shunt were it will measure alternator current.
See the last page.
http://assets.bluesea.com/files/reso...tions/9322.pdf

Here is a shunt for $16.00
http://www.allelectronics.com/item/s...00-amps/1.html

Here's the meter that will work with it.

http://www.allelectronics.com/item/p...l-meter/1.html

Mikek

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
Suggest circuits for linking an analog amp gauge to the output of a 200 amp auto

alternator for measuring output under load. ? links ? commercial units ?

I once used a length of copper wire, computed resistance to wire table.
Worked for my test.

Greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 4/26/2017 2:30 AM, gregz wrote:
wrote:
Suggest circuits for linking an analog amp gauge to the output of a 200 amp auto

alternator for measuring output under load. ? links ? commercial units ?

I once used a length of copper wire, computed resistance to wire table.
Worked for my test.

Greg

Yes, so have I, but I'm sure you know, the problem is the resistance
varies with temperature. Your current has to be low to avoid heating the
wire.
Mikek

---