Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

Default Anyone have a READABLE schematic for an Eico 320 Signal Generator?

I picked up an old tube type Eico 320 Signal Generator. I'm tracing it
and checking stuff. There was a disconnected paper (.5mf 450V)
capacitor. The tube filaments and pilot light work. There is B+
voltage, The voltage from the 6X5 tube at the filter cap, is around
140VDC. (That seems low). The AC volts on the transformer secondary is
about 450V (or 225V each side of the center tap). There is a 2watt 5000
ohm resistor which comes from the power supply, which feels warm, so
apparently there is a voltage draw.

Anyhow, I have found three schematics in PDF format, an one as a .GIF.
They are probably all from the same source, and are very hard to read.
The parts symbols are ok, but where it says the cap and resistor numbers
(such as is that C8, C6 or C3), I can not make out the numbers. They are
blurry. I've tried several pairs of reading glasses, enlarge and shrunk
the diagrams on my screen, and they are just plain poorly scanned.

Does anyone have a decent schematic? And one that shows the voltages at
the tube contacts would greatly help too.

I intend to recap this thing, but first I need a useable schematic.

Thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

** This is probably the same one:

https://elektrotanya.com/PREVIEWS/38..._sch.pdf_1.png

The filter electro is 16uF.

R8 connects to the 6X5 cathode.

140V on the first electros is about right, due to the large value feed resistor.

Lines that cross with no loop ARE connected.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 22:48:58 -0500, Tom Biasi
wrote:

On 2/17/2017 9:37 PM, wrote:
[...]

BAMA has it in djvu format.

Thanks, but I dont have any software that will read that format.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

wrote:
[...]

Are you looking at it in your browser, or a PDF reader? A lot of PDF
files look like crap in a browser, but they are fine in a real PDF program.

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

wrote:
On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 22:48:58 -0500, Tom Biasi
wrote:

http://djvu.org/

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 05:12:23 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

[...]

PDF - XChange Viewer. Version 2.5. Works in Windows 98se, which is the
OS I use.

I have other schematics, even some for other Eico stuff. Those are in
PDF and can be read. This one for the 320, was written to small to start
with and the scan is lousy too. I downloaded a few more PDF versions
sonce my post. They are all identical, just have different file names.
The GIF version is also lousy and looks the same as the PDF.

By the way, I downloaded that DJVU reader. I wont install in Win98se.
Considering the file size, I'd think the DJVU files are worse quality
anyhow. There has to be a lot of loss of detail to compress a file that
small.

Using Paint Shop Pro, I tried some filters and made size changes to the
GIF version. I saved it as a high quality BMP, but with no luck. I guess
a person cant fix what was lousy quality to begin with. At this point,
all I can do is spend hours trying to determine which parts are which,
and modifying the schematic in my paint software with BIGGER numbers.

That still wont tell me the correct voltages though.

I was evn willing to pay for a Sams Photofact, but it looks like they
dont have this one.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

Tom Biasi wrote:
On 2/17/2017 9:37 PM, wrote:
[...]

Sadly, it is the same scan and resolution as the PDF file. It is
typical of the quality of what Eico supplied with their kits

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 10:33:47 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Tom Biasi wrote:
On 2/17/2017 9:37 PM, wrote:
[...]

So you looked and saw the same thing. Thank You.
It seems that from what you said, the original was a lousy print job,
and I'm sure scanning it just made it worse. A few of them numbers look
like nothing but an ink blob. Those numbers should have been larger
right from the start. There is plenty of white space to have made them
larger.

Fortunately there are only 12 caps and 9 resistors. (The other part
numbers are not important and are obvious). The good thing is that it
seems that C3 is near C4, near C5 etc. I'm just redoing the (GIF
version) of the schematic using my paint software, and putting in bigger
numbers. When I finish, I will have a better schematic. And I am
checking each one against the actual circuit.

For those of you who work on a lot of this tube equipment, does it seem
that 140V B+ is low? It does to me, with 450V AC coming from the power
transformer, but it's been many years since I worked on this stuff. The
'lytic cap is not shorted according to my VOM. I checked that before I
plugged it in. I will have to check the tubes too, but I dont have any
tube tester yet. (I have one somewhere). [whatever happened to the good
ol' drug store testers]

At least there has not been any smoke!!!

I'll have to order all new caps as soon as I confirm the numbers are
correct. Just curious, what would you use for that filter cap "lytic?
The schematic says 16mf or over (weird). I'm thinking 20 to 30....
(I cant read the original, since it's numbers are not visible, and it's
in a spot making it hard to rotate without removal.

Either way, it feels good getting into a tube device again.....

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

On 2/18/2017 12:49 PM, wrote:
Just curious, what would you use for that filter cap "lytic?
The schematic says 16mf or over (weird).

A 22 uF will work just fine.

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 12:49:59 -0600, oldschool wrote:

snip

For those of you who work on a lot of this tube equipment, does it seem
that 140V B+ is low? It does to me, with 450V AC coming from the power
transformer,

Probably bad electrolytics, at least for the first guess. If this had
been a receiver, there would be a loud hum.

snip

I will have to check the tubes too, but I dont have any
tube tester yet. (I have one somewhere). [whatever happened to the good
ol' drug store testers]

snip

There's one he http://www.elliottelectronicsupply.com/ but it is
hidden by other things in the picture in "About Us". It's probably out
of your driving range too

--
Jim Mueller

To get my real email address, replace wrongname with dadoheadman.
Then replace nospam with fastmail. Lastly, replace com with us.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim Mueller wrote:

For those of you who work on a lot of this tube equipment, does it seem
that 140V B+ is low? It does to me, with 450V AC coming from the power
transformer,

Probably bad electrolytics, at least for the first guess. If this had
been a receiver, there would be a loud hum.

** Please read the thread.

1. There is a baby size transformer that put out 250-0-250 with no load.

2. The AC voltage peaks are clipped under load so the peak value is about 270V.

3. There is a 6X5 rectifier that drops 50V off as well.

4. Then there is a 5000 ohms resistor before the filter electro that causes another a large voltage drop.

A voltage of 140V on the electro about right, the trick of being that it allows just one 16uF part to do the job.

...... Phil

Commodore 1902a monitor (readable) schematic request msg Electronics Repair 3 November 22nd 08 07:17 PM
signal generator to frequency counter signal tap Bob in Phx Electronics 0 December 5th 05 04:30 AM
signal generator oreo123 Home Repair 6 April 21st 05 03:09 PM
B&K E-200D signal generator - no signal Mike Electronics Repair 11 March 24th 05 09:24 PM
***Help! Heathkit Model IG-102 RF Signal Generator - Schematic*** demnoss Electronics Repair 0 January 10th 05 02:14 PM