Posted to comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,sci.electronics.repair

Default Which app do you use to scan/debug GSM/CDMA cellular tower signal strength?

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 13:46:55 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I don't want to comment on the T-Mobile signal booster due to lack of
experience with the device and general lack of info on what's inside.
If you can supply an FCC ID number, I might be able to excavate
something useful from the FCC ID data dumpster.

Just returned from a hike in the mountains. It's freezing in the mountains
today. You are sending cold winds from Santa Cruz over the ridges!

T-Mobile calls *everything* a "Personal CellSpot" so, this is a photo of my
signal booster from T-Mobile:
http://i.cubeupload.com/6Jpa5v.jpg

On the back of the existing devices are these FCC IDs:

1. Window Unit: FCC ID YETD24NU
https://fccid.io/YETD24NU
User manual: https://fccid.io/document.php?id=2270465

2. Coverage Unit: FCC ID YETD24CU
https://fccid.io/YETD24CU
User manual: https://fccid.io/document.php?id=2270512

What I'm mostly interested is in figuring out how to tell if they're
working, since I can't seem to get different results with or without them
hooked up (and, of course, with the femtocell connected to my router turned
off).

I'm guessing based on the experimental results (which could be misleading)
that they just pass through the cell tower id.
Posted to comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 22:09:51 +0000 (UTC), Stijn De Jong
wrote:

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 13:46:55 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I don't want to comment on the T-Mobile signal booster due to lack of
experience with the device and general lack of info on what's inside.
If you can supply an FCC ID number, I might be able to excavate
something useful from the FCC ID data dumpster.

Just returned from a hike in the mountains. It's freezing in the mountains
today. You are sending cold winds from Santa Cruz over the ridges!

T-Mobile calls *everything* a "Personal CellSpot" so, this is a photo of my
signal booster from T-Mobile:
http://i.cubeupload.com/6Jpa5v.jpg

Here's the company that makes it (Nextivity):
http://www.cel-fi.com/duo/
Methinks that's the model. Here's the "data sheet" which amazingly is
devoid of most useful numbers:
http://content.cel-fi.com/content/doc/duo_datasheet.pdf
It does mumble that it uses a 5GHz link between the two boxes.

On the back of the existing devices are these FCC IDs:

1. Window Unit: FCC ID YETD24NU
https://fccid.io/YETD24NU
User manual: https://fccid.io/document.php?id=2270465

That's the unit with the cellular radio end. Transmit power is about
100 mw. Doesn't appear to use wi-fi on the 5GHz band so my guess(tm)
is that it simply remodulates the received 1700/1800 RF carrier onto
5GHz. You probably won't see the 5GHz line with any of the Android
wi-fi tools, such as WiFi Analyzer.

2. Coverage Unit: FCC ID YETD24CU
https://fccid.io/YETD24CU
User manual: https://fccid.io/document.php?id=2270512

I'll look some more after I haul some firewood up the hill, clean off
the roof (in the rain), and deal with friends bugging me about their
weekend projects. Also, I'm still having problems with the new and
improved FCC ID document format, which balkanizes the test results
into as many seperate sections as possible in order to make them
difficult to download and read.

What I'm mostly interested is in figuring out how to tell if they're
working, since I can't seem to get different results with or without them
hooked up (and, of course, with the femtocell connected to my router turned
off).

I'm guessing based on the experimental results (which could be misleading)
that they just pass through the cell tower id.

That would also be my guess(tm). Nothing is demodulated or decoded by
the unit. Simply amplified and retransmitted on 5GHz. More later.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Here's the basic patent on the system which includes a block diagram
and description showing how it works:
"CDMA UNII link"
https://www.google.com/patents/US8351366
That's for CDMA, but I couldn't find anything for GSM, UMTS, and
WCDMA. More patents:
http://www.cel-fi.com/patents/
I'll grind my way through the list later...
--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 13:00:11 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote, re #878#:

"Announcement for switch [digit] [digit] [digit] dash [digit]."

I tried it again and got the same thing as you ending in "Announcement
for switch 40-6". 40 is the SID (system identifier) for the San Fran...

Sure enough, the digits I heard indicate several VZW centers in my state.

The 6 is the NID (network identifier).

My NID digit was "2". Technically, though I'm on the Verizon network, I'm
activated on Page Plus Cellular. No idea what difference that may make.

Anyway, thanks for the SID lookup URL. Cheers, -- tlvp
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 02/16/2017 12:05 PM, wrote:
The Troll is back!

AND NOW IT SEEMS THE FAG IS BACK

Please don't feed the troll!

AND DON'T FEED THE FAG WHO IS GAYER THAN SITRE MAGANA WHO IS THE OTHER
FAG THAT SUCKED OFF A 72 YEAR OLD MAN AND RAPED A DOG ON VIDEO.

Posted to comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 15:36:42 +0000, Whiskers wrote:

I use OpenSignal on my Android, in the UK. It currently shows '100
nearby' cell towers on the first page (where your screenshot shows '0
nearby') and they are shown as points on the map within a mile or two of
where I am (in a large busy city). But I'm pretty sure that comes from
the OpenSignal server not from the phone's own hardware.

UPDATE:

I know everyone loves OpenSignal but I prefer an app that provides the
EXACT cellular source when, in my case, it's often a femtocell that is
never going to be on ANY Internet database.

To that end, see this post today on this topic, if it helps others.
o Galaxy S9 in UK - poor signal?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/0soPAvWzt78

On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 16:32:34 +0000 (UTC), Tony Mountifield wrote:

Ah, I could put my wife's SIM in my old phone to compare...
I do have the OpenSignal app on both.

I agree for cellular you need to be connected to the carrier, which is a
drawback - but luckily you have a second SIM card, where the apps I use can
handle two SIM cards (if the phone can handle two SIM cards of course).

I wouldn't suggest OpenSignal since it's an Internet lookup database which
uses triangulation (last I checked anyway) ... where I'd use one of the
apps in the references that does NOT need any access to the Internet.

I just looked on my phone where I have "Cellular-Z" freeware installed,
which seems to work well to show signal strength in RSSI, RSRP, RSRQ, &
SINR.
https://i.postimg.cc/W4zhW166/cellular01.jpg

In my case, I test femtocell signal and cellular repeater signals, where my
femtocell would never be in an Internet database.
https://i.postimg.cc/TPK3jHft/cellular02.jpg

o Cellular-Z, by JerseyHo
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=make.more.r2d2.cellular_z
"Cellular Z is a telecom signal quality and Wifi network info, channel
info software, the main functions are as follows:
1.Dual SIM mobile phone network information (SIM card serving cell, serving
cell signal quality,neighboring cells).
2.Wifi information (connected, nearby Wifi list, Wifi channel 2.5 and 5
GHz).
3. Current location information GPS Satellites
4. Device information (battery, hardware, system).
5.speedtest.
6.Map track,indoor coverage."
Posted to comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,sci.electronics.repair

On 9/14/19 12:01 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
[ Nothing of any use, as always. ]

Go **** yourself.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Are there cheap VHF signal strength meters? Chris Green UK diy 9 June 30th 16 08:43 PM
aerial signal strength [email protected] UK diy 10 March 9th 06 11:22 AM
Aerial Signal Strength john UK diy 51 December 24th 05 11:00 AM
measure signal strength? Eric Home Repair 11 July 20th 05 06:55 AM
Cable TV Splitter Signal Strength New Question Home Repair 6 September 9th 03 12:12 AM