Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Google Access Getiing Bad

Actually I did have Thunderbird set up at one time when my ISP (apparently) was having trouble with Usenet access.

Also, I am not fond of Google Groups because it does not give a tree view.

Now it is acting up more and more and in two different browsers. I need to do something else. There is one problem, I deal only in cash so there is no way to pay anyone online. The occasions when I do buy something I generally use a postal money order. I am actually not blacklisted by the banks, which is when they charge you $300 for a $1.00 overdraft, but it ain't ever going to happen. It happened to a couple of people I know and I am not letting it happen to me. Plus the fact that everyone I deal with at the moment takes cash. I work for cash, I spend cash.

Bottom line, no matter how much money is in my safe and drawer, there is no way to pay them.

I did have it set up with Thunderbird and AIOE (IIRC) and it did not solve my problem. It still had access issues. Then all that cleared up, but then so did Google, so I just went back to that. It bitches about my browsers but when it says "A problem occurred while communicating with the server" it is NOT a browser issue, especially when the same browser works a half an hour later. So I am not "upgrading" anything. But then if I have to go Thunderbird again I will probably get the new version of that. And it STILL might not fix my problem. Like updating drivers, it does not work, like I have no sound so I need the newer drivers, hows come it worked last week ? Bunch of bull****.

Is there free client software out there other than Thunderbird ? Is there something that is really about guaranteed to connect ?

Or is Usenet slated for a slow death by the PTB because of unmoderated groups and so forth promoting free speech ? (or at least enabling it)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 02/13/2017 05:00 PM, wrote:
[...]

How do you pay your ISP? If you have to go to the library to use the
net, it might be an issue on that end.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 6:16:06 PM UTC-5, Phil Hobbs wrote:
On 02/13/2017 05:00 PM, wrote:
[...]

Making sense with this individual is a bit like nailing Jell-O. A not very rewarding exercise with few positive results.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
MJC MJC is offline

In article ,
says...

Is there free client software out there other than Thunderbird ? Is there something that is really about guaranteed to connect ?

My ISP provides reliable access and I use free opensource client:
http://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/

Mike.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 5:00:36 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Google groups has been working fine for me for a while.
Back several years ago it would "drop out" for days or weeks at a time.

George H.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 9:53:16 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Google groups has been working fine for me for a while.
Back several years ago it would "drop out" for days or weeks at a time.

George H.

I expect that the OP is having trouble because those watching his every keystroke are getting careless.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Making sense with this individual is a bit like nailing Jell-O. A not very
rewarding exercise
with few positive results.

Raeanne's **** is so loose that if you ****ed her your dick would feel like
a nail in Jell-O.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"How do you pay your ISP? "

Built into the phone bill.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Is there something that is really about guaranteed to connect ?

Could you translate that line into English please? "

Yeah, when I click on the reply button I do not want to see "A problem occurred while communicating with the server".

"The eventual death of Usenet has been predicted many times in the

past. Somehow, it doesn't seem to be happening."

I noticed.

"Reddit offers

moderation by content and reputation, which helps get rid of threads
like this one."

Please elaborate. Do you mean I should STFU or that this thread would never be necessary there ?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"I expect that the OP is having trouble because those watching his every keystroke are getting careless. "

Not logical. They would want me to post as much as possible.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

If you're connected to several different computers, servers or phones (made by more than one company), then malware should ordinarily have a more difficult time, too.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 14/02/2017 09:00, wrote:
[...]

Do they sell pre-paid visa debit cards where you are? Here one can hand
over cash and buy one. I prefer those when dealing with small online
transactions where I think the card details are likely to get stolen.
The most I can lose is whatever cash I handed over to buy (or top up)
the card, and to me this is better than the hassle and the cost of my
time and perhaps credit rating etc. to deal with trying to do a
chargeback through a bank. I can't recall whether I had to show ID when
I bought the card - but for my purposes it makes no difference as I am
not trying to achieve anonymity.

Regardless of the client software you use, you will need a news
provider, and I don't know whether there are any free good ones. ISPs
used to provide this included with the internet service but it is
getting rare these days. I pre-paid for a block of data (with
usenet-news.net iirc) a long time ago. As I don't use binary newsgroups,
it will probably last as long as I need without ever paying them again.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 04:29:31 -0800 (PST), wrote:

"Is there something that is really about guaranteed to connect ?

Could you translate that line into English please? "

Yeah, when I click on the reply button I do not want to
see "A problem occurred while communicating with the server".

Elsewhere in this thread, you mumbled something about your internet
bill being part of your telephone bill. That means your ISP is
probably AT&T (also known as the evil empire). Lots of potential
problems, some of which I fix on a regular basis for customers. I
don't want to get into a troubleshooting exercise right now, but
basically, connect to the web server used to configure your
unspecified model DSL modem, and grab some numbers. If you have a
separate router, you may need to temporarily plug your computah
directly into your modem. What you want are the SNR and Line Level
numbers:
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16220
This will tell you if you have too much copper between the CO or RT
and your unspecified model DSL modem, or if your unspecified model DSL
modem is operating at the limits of its capabilities. Or, the modem
could just be too old, has bulging capacitors inside, or is not made
for ADSL2+. Also, check the error rates if available. A few data
errors are normal, but anything over about 10% of the total traffic in
each direction is an indication of a problem.

"Reddit offers

moderation by content and reputation, which helps get rid of threads
like this one."

Please elaborate. Do you mean I should STFU or that this thread
would never be necessary there ?

If it helps, I prefer to be more diplomatic when I'm being insulting.
No, it doesn't mean that I'm advocating your departure from s.e.r. It
means that Reddit would not tolerate such off topic questions,
discussions, and rants. You would be directed to a DSL related forum
on Reddit, where you might obtain a more reasonable answer. Unless
you keep your questions and replies on topic (and non-political), your
comments would probably be disappeared into /dev/null. In other
words, topic drift, rambling commentaries, and political rants are not
tolerated.

I haven't made an accurate count, but my guess(tm) is only about 25%
of the postings to s.e.r. are about electronic repair, which is much
better than s.e.d, which is probably 5% on topic.

The personalities of Usenet:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/genesis.txt

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Do they sell pre-paid visa debit cards where you are? Here one can hand
over cash and buy one. I prefer those when dealing with small online
transactions where I think the card details are likely to get stolen. "

You can call me a cheapskate or whatever you want but I can use a couple of people's credit cards, but I have a problem paying for what used to be free. I was an AOL sucker for a while. The most expensive end user ISP all the sudde drops Useet access, then they drop your webspace, where I used to have a couple of pages.

Your concerns about your numbers is understood but I have a story that is kinda ironic That. Long time ago my Father had a similar concern about buying online and had never ever bought anything online. However, he gets this phone call from the one bank asking if he is in Italy. We wasn't nor had he ever been to Italy, but someone tried to use his card there. It was of course still in his wallet.

Apparently somewhere he used it, the clerk or someone got ahold of the numbers. I am not sure, but I am starting to think that online transactions are safer because quite possibly your numbers are never read by human eyes.

But really, paying for something that should be included is something I try to avoid. Walk into a tire shop now and ask them how much extra for the air, seriously.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Elsewhere in this thread, you mumbled something about your internet
bill being part of your telephone bill. That means your ISP is
probably AT&T (also known as the evil empire)."

Evil empire is right, and in fact that is why we use cellular for all long distance. And they are not an evil empire, they are a monster from hell. Got chopped up by the Sherman anti-trust act decades ago and just grew up bigger. All that really happened was a bunch of lawyers got richer.

The MODEM was just changed in the last year or so. It is impractical to go look right now but luckily I had the manual on this laptop. It is a Pace 4111N.

"If it helps, I prefer to be more diplomatic when I'm being insulting.

No, it doesn't mean that I'm advocating your departure from s.e.r. "

Well if you did want me gone to most liely would not be offering advice on me keeping my access, which I do appreciate. However I do question everything. Later I will seek out your tools and bring back whatever SNL numbers or whatever, but I doubt that is the problem.

Reason being is that all other internet access is just fine, and I know how to coax it to reload rather than just rereading a page from the cache. This only affects Usenet, and actually I couldn't get it for abiout a month. I called ATT and the guy didn't even know what Usenet is, so I explained it.

Then, as it does now, it seems to just fix itself. Sometimes IE seems to connect better but at times I get the same errors. When it was down for a while I couldn't get Thunderbird to conect reliably, and by the time it did it seemed like Google did as well.

I'll get whatever numbers I can, in the meantime, the install is thus - the telco wire to the MODEM comes directly off the interface box on the side of the house. All other things on the line have filters. (a few newer things don't seem to need filters anymore, but they gotem anyway)

The master PC is a MAC and something I would rather not touch if possible. It has the typical RJ-45, as does the upstairs PC which is pretty new, Win 8.1 I think. My downstairs PC is offline right now because of a damaged CAT5 cable that is getting new ends crimped on. Hopefuilly that will be up by Friday. It is a 75 footer. Hopefully it works because I like having internet by the bench. The PC I am on now is the only one on wireless. However, when Usenet was down on this, the downstairs PC was still connected and had the same problem. So I doubt it is a problem with the wireless itself.

Now when I go to do this connection quality test, do I specify where to look ? Like would I have to point it to Usenet ? I have learned a few things aboutt he internet but obviously not enough, but any weak link in the chain from here to damnear Timbuktu could be causing this problem. Like there used to be a website called like "speedtest" or something, but when you went there you accessed their servers etc. and you got an ideal speed based on connecting to them, not just any other resource on the web.

Now after a few years ago with all this talk of throttling, I wonder if "they" would actually like Usenet killed. Many of these groups are unmoderated and cannot be moderated. they do not like that and we know it. I am not much into conspiracy theories but when you got people from government, industry and media going behind cosed doors to talk about **** they do not want us to hear, and their goal is clearly to enrich and empower themselvees at the expense of everyone else, what the hell are we supposed to think ?

But I am not going into that **** because of what might just be a few errors or poor maintaining or whatever.

I still would like to know why IE can access this but FF cannot.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 04:22:51 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[...]

Some banks have become a bit obsessive about cards since online frauds
became common. My bank sent me a kit of new cards to use and a number
to call with a authorisation code for the cards. When I called I gave
a woman details about my previous location just to see what happens.
Apart from a monthly statement sent my current location showing my
overdraft limit I get nothing from the bank. The bank says they never
ask clients to call them. It's about a month now and there are no
transactions on the cards. I only use cash and online transactions. I
don't use cards at all.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows
http://www.npsnn.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 05:10:52 -0800 (PST), wrote:

It is a Pace 4111N.

https://www.att.com/accessories/specialty-items/pace-dsl-gateway-model-4111n.html
I've only had to deal with 3 of these modems so far. One had a power
supply problem, but the other two were just fine. Officially, it's
NOT a modem. It's a "gateway" which is what both AT&T and Comcast are
calling their boxes that have everything conglomerated into one
package (modem, router, ethernet switch, and wi-fi). The default IP
is 192.168.1.254. Point your browser at this IP address and see what
you find on the status and diagnostics pages.

I do question everything.

(...)

No problem as long as you don't question my advice.

I just checked out Google Groups on my DSL line using Firefox. It
seems to be going VERY slow. I click on s.e.d. to list the available
messages and it's taking 2 minutes to load a page. Some of the
obscure groups never seem to load. Same problem with Chrome, and
Opera. IE8 doesn't work because Google complains "You are using a
version of Internet Explorer which Google Groups no longer supports".
I switched to my neighbors Comcast connection and find the same
problem. Kinda looks like Google Groups is the problem.

Like I said, I don't want to go into a public troubleshooting exercise
on this, at least not now. Bizzzeeee.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"I do question everything.
(...)

No problem as long as you don't question my advice. "

Yeah.

"The default IP

is 192.168.1.254. Point your browser at this IP address and see what
you find on the status and diagnostics pages. "

Did it months ago when this was an ongoing problem. Everything was fine. It said anyway...

Then later there was a real outage and I somehow screwed something up royal because then it took my sister over half an hour on the phone to get it back up. tha tis when the network cable to the Man cave failed and I saw the MODEM was turned upside down. Looking it the really poor condition of the wires going into the RJ45 connectors and knowing the cable has beeen throgugh hell led me to believe it has an open wire. That plus the Man cave PC says "A network cable is unplugged". Amd I ean that cable really has been through hell. tomorrow I find out if they recrimped it for me. If not I might jjust walk out of work and tell them I am going to Walmart to get one or some ****. I no longe put up wioth lip service from employers. In fact even when I was a teenager the boss once said "You act like you are doing us a favor coming in here" to which I replied "Isn't that why you pay me ?", and since then I have only grown bigger. And badder, and more sharp. Actually, iot is almost time to contact my old employer, after a year when he ****ed me off, see if maybe they could use some of my time. these people were a trip, nice I guess, mostly, but dumb. Bring me an effects box that is clearly meant to work in an effects loop of a mixer r amp and trying to use it straight off the guitar, and the complaint ? "Noise and clicks when changing modes".

Usenet is different, but out here in the real world I have very little respect for anyone. Out here I have only met one tech I could really havee a discussion with.

"I just checked out Google Groups on my DSL line using Firefox. It

seems to be going VERY slow. I click on s.e.d. to list the available
messages and it's taking 2 minutes to load a page. Some of the
obscure groups never seem to load."

My problem doesn't seem to be speed, but that error. But then I have probably a doifferent OS, Vista here, you probably have 10. But I am actually on IE8 right now and it does bitch, but then it works. My FF is a very old version, below 20. What I have heard is tht 23 is about the best version to have but I was having trouble finding it. Even the places that have older versions said here is the file but then when I went ot install it it says "Veersion 45" or whatever it is in. I want 23, no higher from things I have heard. Plus the fact alll I see in newer versions of software are features remove that I used to use.

But then sometimes FF works jusrt fine. I'll have those numbers soon. should I close al browsers and start fresh or will this work OK with my usual half dozen or more tabs open, and now two browsers because of this horse**** ?

"Like I said, I don't want to go into a public troubleshooting exercise

on this, at least not now. Bizzzeeee. "

Fine. So far so good, you gave me some pointers and now I have to use them. I'll get back to you, that is if I can of course.