Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Hot swapping CMOS batteries

The standard instructions for changing out a desktop CMOS battery say you
should turn everything off and unplug the power cord. But I wonder if guys
who do this kind of stuff for a living don't hot swap the batteries with the
power on, or at least leave the power cord plugged in so the always-on 5V
supply provide power to the CMOS. That should prevent losing the contents of
the CMOS memory, including the TOD and the BIOS settings.

On a related question, I also have an old Toshiba Satellite L35 laptop that
I'd like to replace the CMOS battery on. It looks like I would have to take
the entire laptop apart so I can remove the motherboard, turn it over, and
replace the battery. Or, it turns out I can see the battery through the side
of the wireless compartment, and I should be able the cut a window in the
bottom of the case through which I could switch out the battery, then hot-
glue the window back in place. Is there any reason not to do it that way?
It's a lot more likely the laptop would survive the latter procedure.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 11/01/2017 05:42, Peabody wrote:
[...]

Yes, I added a tag to the battery line, so I could easily swap the
battery , while jumpering in an external battery supply with a bit of a
dropper resistor
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1/10/2017 9:42 PM, Peabody wrote:
[...]

Problem with doing anything with the power on is the unexpected.
Suggest you at least put some tape on the battery so you have
something to hold onto while you try to pry it out.

The other issue is the reset. Assuming you have a reason/symptom
to change the battery, it may be that the state of the memory is
compromised. I've had laptops with rechargeable CMOS batteries
that wouldn't run after I manually recharged them.
Removing/waiting/replacing the charged battery fixed it.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Peabody" wrote in message
The standard instructions for changing out a desktop CMOS battery say you
should turn everything off and unplug the power cord. But I wonder if
guys
who do this kind of stuff for a living don't hot swap the batteries with
the
power on, or at least leave the power cord plugged in so the always-on 5V
supply provide power to the CMOS. That should prevent losing the contents
of
the CMOS memory, including the TOD and the BIOS settings.

There doesn't seem to be any logic to hot swapping a CMOS battery - many
motherboards have a jumper header to discharge the smoothing caps on the RTC
rail - it holds for at least a few minutes with the battery out.

Usually you don't even know it needs replacing till boot up reports a CMOS
checksum error - then I just fit a new battery and load optimum defaults.
There's only a couple of values I need to set manually.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 11/01/2017 20:14, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:

"Peabody" wrote in message
[...]

The clue for me , is progressively worsening internal clock timekeeping.
Incidently , hot soldering a tag, remove the power from the soldering
iron before soldering , while still hot

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Peabody" wrote in message
[...]

Propane soldering irons work very well for this sort of thing -
ungrounded...

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Peabody" wrote in message
[...]

Wasn't that one reason for promoting the cordless soldering iron sold in
the seventies? I forget who made it, Radio Shack sold it under their
name also, but there was something about an "iso-tip". Since it didn't
plug in, you could use it where other irons might not be safe.

Michael

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

news

"Peabody" wrote in message
[...]

IME: The time and date data usually survives - but it surprises me every
once in a while.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Peabody" wrote in message
[...]

Even so - I wouldn't bother hot swapping a soldered in CMOS battery.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Black wrote:

Wasn't that one reason for promoting the cordless soldering iron sold in the seventies? I forget who made it, Radio Shack sold it under their name also, but there was something about an "iso-tip". Since it
didn't plug in, you could use it where other irons might not be safe.

Wahl made, and still makes them.

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 14 Jan 2017, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Michael Black wrote:

Wasn't that one reason for promoting the cordless soldering iron sold in
the seventies? I forget who made it, Radio Shack sold it under their name
also, but there was something about an "iso-tip". Since it
didn't plug in, you could use it where other irons might not be safe.

Wahl made, and still makes them.

Thanks. I suddenly couldn't remember who made it.

Michael

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Black wrote:

Wasn't that one reason for promoting the cordless soldering iron sold
in the seventies? I forget who made it, Radio Shack sold it under
their name also, but there was something about an "iso-tip". Since it
didn't plug in, you could use it where other irons might not be safe.

Wahl made, and still makes them.

Thanks. I suddenly couldn't remember who made it.

You're welcome.

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)

Gas swapping whisky-dave UK diy 9 May 28th 10 04:24 PM
Toshiba Tecra 8000 cmos batteries jakdedert Electronics Repair 2 December 27th 07 07:58 PM
CMOS looks burned, isn't it ? Fabian Electronics Repair 8 June 18th 06 10:09 PM
cmos introduction RJ Electronics Repair 2 February 27th 06 06:05 AM
CMOS IC help! tlbs Electronics Repair 0 February 15th 05 01:21 AM