Lu

Default learn to repair laptop motherboard.

Hi

I want to know is there any where that I can learn about repairing a
laptop motherboard? Please recommend me a way to repair or a good book
or a website. I used to troubleshoot digital and analog circuits (but
it was not motherboard circuit). And what equipment do I need in order
to set up a bench for motherboard repair? I just got a new job where I
have to set up a laptop repair facility and find someone to train the
technicians. So before I can do those, I would like to get myself
familiarize with motherboard repair. Please help! I really don't know
how to get that started and don't want to be fired.
Thanks
Lu
David

What do you mean motherboard repair?
Motherboards are replaceable parts. Manufactures do not give out any
schematics or custom programming of the special ics on the boards. Beyond
some basic simple failures of the power supply, or failed capacitors
(hopefully they did not leak out and destroy the board), there is little
actual component level repair that can be performed on an 8 or more layer
motherboard. If you have a couple of hundred thousand dollars to spend on
the special high density surface mount board reworking tools and have
contacts within the manufactures of the boards who will sell you the parts
and schematics, go ahead and set up a repair for the boards.

It simply is not a practical or cost effective proposition.

FYI as a result of the lack of parts or schematics, there is no book on
troubleshooting the motherboards. Only highly experienced troubleshooting
technicians can even find and repair the simple problems.

David

"Lu" wrote in message
om...
Hi

I want to know is there any where that I can learn about repairing a
laptop motherboard? Please recommend me a way to repair or a good book
or a website. I used to troubleshoot digital and analog circuits (but
it was not motherboard circuit). And what equipment do I need in order
to set up a bench for motherboard repair? I just got a new job where I
have to set up a laptop repair facility and find someone to train the
technicians. So before I can do those, I would like to get myself
familiarize with motherboard repair. Please help! I really don't know
how to get that started and don't want to be fired.
Thanks
Lu

Jerry G.

I don't think you have realization of the magnitude of the project you want
to take on! The cost of the set-ups, tools, and the service information
required will be very expensive. This is why these boards are disposed of
rather than repaired.

--

Jerry G.
=====

"Lu" wrote in message
om...
Hi

I want to know is there any where that I can learn about repairing a
laptop motherboard? Please recommend me a way to repair or a good book
or a website. I used to troubleshoot digital and analog circuits (but
it was not motherboard circuit). And what equipment do I need in order
to set up a bench for motherboard repair? I just got a new job where I
have to set up a laptop repair facility and find someone to train the
technicians. So before I can do those, I would like to get myself
familiarize with motherboard repair. Please help! I really don't know
how to get that started and don't want to be fired.
Thanks
Lu

Sam Goldwasser

"Jerry G." writes:

I don't think you have realization of the magnitude of the project you want
to take on! The cost of the set-ups, tools, and the service information
required will be very expensive. This is why these boards are disposed of
rather than repaired.

Not to mention that you would need custom jigs for each model.....

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.

rudy

David wrote:

What do you mean motherboard repair?
Motherboards are replaceable parts. Manufactures do not give out any
schematics or custom programming of the special ics on the boards. Beyond

Replaceable parts, nope. Motherboards can be economically repaired (by
the manufacturer via RMA) and manufacturers do give out custom
programming, BIOS updates? There are no special parts on the boards, all
are off the shelf parts. Maybe 10-15 years ago that was the case. All
motherboards have resemblance in their design and are based on
recommended designs by the chipset manufacturers Intel, VIA, ALI, Nvidia
and Serverworks and some others that have ceased to exist.

some basic simple failures of the power supply, or failed capacitors

Failures are not that different from audio and video equipment, it is
the scarcity of parts that can be ordered by the piece, you have to get
then by the hundreds/thousands. The leaky capacitor issue affects the
whole electronics industry and few entrepenuers replacing these
capacitors and calling themselves component level troubleshooters is
silly. Computer technicians on your neighborhood should be called "board
swappers" instead

(hopefully they did not leak out and destroy the board), there is little
actual component level repair that can be performed on an 8 or more layer
motherboard. If you have a couple of hundred thousand dollars to spend on

The multilayer board is the most robust part, only when it is cracked or
corroded can it be regarded as scrap. If there's an open trace in
between layers, there is probably a bigger problem that needs to be
addressed. SMT rework tool can be as low as US$3,000, look at JBC's
products. We used them exclusively in the assembly line and RMA for gull
wing and J leaded SMTs rework. These are manually soldered. The hot air
station is only for removing the SMT, reflow is not an option since non
reflow components are already in place for finished products. Reflow
equipment, this might be your hundred thousand dollars equipment.

the special high density surface mount board reworking tools and have
contacts within the manufactures of the boards who will sell you the parts
and schematics, go ahead and set up a repair for the boards.

Agree on this, only the manucfacturere themselves has the facility to
repair this but only for a short period after the product ceased
production. I've worked with one by the way.