Johan Wagener

Default mica capacitor substitutes

I simply can't buy silvered mica caps in south africa. They cost more
than the output transistors.

I need them for an amplifier project.

What do I do?
Joerg

Hi Johan,

Can't you use polyester or other film type caps? Or maybe if you need a
lot of them order internationally from Digikey or one of those places?
When I lived in Europe I sometimes had stuff shipped from the US and it
wasn't a big deal unless you want fast airmail service, but even then it
was ok for smaller parts.

For small qties my solution was very often to scavenge them out of an old
radio or TV. One that was at least 20 years old because the new ones only
have ceramics and electrolytics.

Regards, Joerg
http://www.analogconsultants.com

Paul Burridge

On Tue, 04 May 2004 20:19:33 GMT, Joerg
wrote:

Hi Johan,

Can't you use polyester or other film type caps? Or maybe if you need a
lot of them order internationally from Digikey or one of those places?
When I lived in Europe I sometimes had stuff shipped from the US and it
wasn't a big deal unless you want fast airmail service, but even then it
was ok for smaller parts.

For small qties my solution was very often to scavenge them out of an old
radio or TV. One that was at least 20 years old because the new ones only
have ceramics and electrolytics.

Anyone know why it is that mica and polystyrene types are becoming so
hard to find? Is there a shortage of mica and polystyrene??
--

The BBC: licenced at public expense to spread lies.
Ken Smith

In article ,
Johan Wagener wrote:
I simply can't buy silvered mica caps in south africa. They cost more
than the output transistors.

I need them for an amplifier project.

What do I do?

Move?

Use NPO ceramic?

forging knowledge

John Larkin

wrote:

Hi Johan,

Can't you use polyester or other film type caps? Or maybe if you need a
lot of them order internationally from Digikey or one of those places?
When I lived in Europe I sometimes had stuff shipped from the US and it
wasn't a big deal unless you want fast airmail service, but even then it
was ok for smaller parts.

For small qties my solution was very often to scavenge them out of an old
radio or TV. One that was at least 20 years old because the new ones only
have ceramics and electrolytics.

Anyone know why it is that mica and polystyrene types are becoming so
hard to find? Is there a shortage of mica and polystyrene??

Somebody in Japan, I think, quit making the polystyrene film. There's
still lots of mica in the ground, but these caps are labor-intensive
to fabricate, and NPO ceramics work as well (better, maybe: mica has
nasty dielectric absorption.) I think some big transmitting caps may
still be mica.

Mica is still used to insulate the heater elements in toasters, last
time I looked. Somebody does make surface-mount mica caps, I think!

John

Joerg

Hi Paul,

Besides Japan there had also been a rumor or maybe even story in the press
that Bayer might discontinue some type of film. But there are alternatives.

Regards, Joerg
http://www.analogconsultants.com

Joerg

Hi Paul,

This is an older article but it seems the folks from Bayer and others are
instilling some hope he

http://www.manufacturing.net/pur/article/CA139284

Regards, Joerg
http://www.analogconsultants.com

Frank Miles

wrote:

Hi Johan,

Can't you use polyester or other film type caps? Or maybe if you need a
lot of them order internationally from Digikey or one of those places?
When I lived in Europe I sometimes had stuff shipped from the US and it
wasn't a big deal unless you want fast airmail service, but even then it
was ok for smaller parts.

For small qties my solution was very often to scavenge them out of an old
radio or TV. One that was at least 20 years old because the new ones only
have ceramics and electrolytics.

Anyone know why it is that mica and polystyrene types are becoming so
hard to find? Is there a shortage of mica and polystyrene??

The low melting temperature has a lot to do with polystyrene's demise.
Too bad, they have some nice properties. Can't put those through the
machines, though -- have to be hand-soldered.

Mica, which pricy, is still available from places like DigiKey.

-frank