Potrzebie

Default Samsung DVD-709 DVD player problem

Hi all,

I have a Samsung DVD-709 DVD player I am attempting to look at for
someone....

The unit will not read any discs. Audio, DVD, all just come up with "NO
DISC" a few seconds after inserting. The laser seems to be lighting up, I
notice the disc spins a couple of revolutions before the error. I have
cleaned the laser assembly and sleds, no difference. I can't find a service
manual for it without spending half the price of a replacement player (as
I'm sure everyone knows!). Any common problems with these units anyone
knows about? Anyone have a service manual they could email me the
appropriate sections?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. For the return email address, just
remove one of the "2"'s in the return address.

Thanks
Joe

David

Yes, the optical laser assembly is bad and the unit also needs the updated
signal process circuit board assembly. Last I remember the optical drive
unit was just under $200 and the board was around $150. Let alone the
firmware upgrades that were required to get it to play the newest software
(movie titles).

This was a very poorly designed unit and required several modifications just
to make it work almost correctly when it was brand new.

Due to the age of the unit, it is really time for it to be replaced.

FYI this unit is all board level repair, the least expensive board is almost
the cost of a really nice unit today.

David

"Potrzebie" wrote in message
[...]

Mark D. Zacharias

Typical of DVD repair, actually. The pickups die like flies on these things.
We don't fix that many out of warranty these days - too expensive. Mostly a
few Sony's which cost 400.00 new and the owner can't bear to trash it, even
though a new cheapie is 50.00 or so.

Mark Z.

"Potrzebie" wrote in message
[...]

LASERandDVDfan

I have a Samsung DVD-709 DVD player I am attempting to look at for
someone....

Tell the owner to replace it with a Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic (including
Technics), Pioneer, Denon Yamaha, Onkyo, or JVC DVD player.

If you're willing to spend the most cash possible on a DVD player, consider the
Meridian 800. It is perhaps the world's finest DVD player, and for
approximately $16,000 it better be the best damn player in the whole world!
That's sixteen thousand dollars, in case anyone was wondering if the price in
numerical form was a typo.

The DVD-709 and pretty much every Samsung DVD player were some of the worst DVD
players ever made. Other bad choices include General Electric, RCA, GoVideo,
Cinevision, Cyberhome, Mintek, Apex, Norcent, Curtis Mathes, Venturer, Lasonic,
Daewoo, Philips, Aiwa, Zenith, Orion, LG, jWin, Sharp, SV2000, Hitachi, Akai,
Koss, Audiovox, Funai, Magnavox, Sylvania, Symphonic, Emerson, Disney (yes,
there is a Disney branded and themed DVD player that was made by Funai), and
pretty much all no-name brands.

Avoid ALL DVD/VCR combo units, regardless of who made it. The convenience
comes at a price: a compromised design to fit ten pounds of rubbish in a five
pound package. - Reinhart

Mark D. Zacharias

At that price, they could buy 32,000 of the cheap Wal-Mart
units and replace them once a week for 615 years.

And you might have to :-)

mz

"Potrzebie" wrote in message
Only $16,000? At that price, they could buy 32,000 of the cheap Wal-Mart
units and replace them once a week for 615 years.

Joe

If you're willing to spend the most cash possible on a DVD player,

consider the
Meridian 800. It is perhaps the world's finest DVD player, and for
approximately $16,000 it better be the best damn player in the whole

world!
That's sixteen thousand dollars, in case anyone was wondering if the

price
in
numerical form was a typo.

Chaos Master

LASERandDVDfan bleeding:

If you're willing to spend the most cash possible on a DVD player, consider the
Meridian 800. It is perhaps the world's finest DVD player, and for
approximately $16,000 it better be the best damn player in the whole world!
That's sixteen thousand dollars, in case anyone was wondering if the price in
numerical form was a typo.

$16,000???? Wow.

The DVD-709 and pretty much every Samsung DVD player were some of the worst DVD
players ever made. Other bad choices include General Electric, RCA, GoVideo,
Cinevision, Cyberhome, Mintek, Apex, Norcent, Curtis Mathes, Venturer, Lasonic,
Daewoo, Philips, Aiwa, Zenith, Orion, LG, jWin, Sharp, SV2000, Hitachi, Akai,
Koss, Audiovox, Funai, Magnavox, Sylvania, Symphonic, Emerson, Disney (yes,
there is a Disney branded and themed DVD player that was made by Funai), and
pretty much all no-name brands.

Then, what brand of DVD player would you suggest? The only that comes to mind
now, after this extensive "****-listing" is Panasonic.

[]s
--
Chaos Master® - Posting from Brazil - MSN:
BRASNET: Wizard_of_Yendor at #POA, #Canoas, #XLinuxNews
Mark D. Zacharias

I would say stay away from Denon also. Regardless of their higher cost,
their reliability is abysmal.

Pioneer's seem to have fewer pickup failures than other brands. YMMV
however.

I happen to also think Sony's are pretty good (improved the past couple
years) as well.

Mark Z.

"Chaos Master" wrote in message
T...
LASERandDVDfan bleeding:

[...]

Mark D. Zacharias

After reflection, I would add Onkyo to the "stay away" list.

Their current models are Philips-built. Yick.

Even their older ones were Toshiba-built, which is not-so-great in my
opinion either.

Mark Z.

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
[...]

LASERandDVDfan

I would say stay away from Denon also. Regardless of their higher cost,
their reliability is abysmal.

True. As a matter of fact, I should have mentioned that Denon is hit and miss.

Some of their players were OEMed by Panasonic. Their higher end players have
fantastic progressive scan processing sections. But, yes, Denon is hit and
miss depending on what model you buy. Should not have introduced that as a
recommendation, then. - Reinhart

LASERandDVDfan

Then, what brand of DVD player would you suggest? The only that comes to mind

now, after this extensive "****-listing" is Panasonic.

Panasonic is an excellent choice. - Reinhart