George R. Gonzalez

Default Projection TV coolant?

I have a Barco Vision II video projector that is really fuzzy, probably due
to cloudy coolant.

Does anyone know where to get the stuff, and how much one needs for a
typical set of 3 CRT's?

Steve Reinis

I pulled a 1988 Magnavox 47" PTV from alongside the dumpster at a thirft
store about a year ago. Although the set was old, it was in rather good
shape for the age and had never been serviced apparently from the condition
of the coolant. The coolant wasn't cloudy... it was filfthy! Like looking
into a petri dish with all sorts of things growing in it.

Not expecting the best picture even with new coolant since the set was so
old, I tore into the CRTs and refilled them with mineral oil after cleaning
so I could see how CRTs would do. There was quite a bit of burn in from the
normal raster, so everything took on a "warmer" yellowish tint, but still a
usable picture for a free set. I didn't bother ordering proper coolant and
left the set running with mineral oil since I was going to trash it
eventually

A year later the set is still running with mineral oil as coolant. No
leaks, no overheating, no clouding or bacterial growth yet. The CRTs are
very weak now, but it still runs!

om...

"Art" wrote in message

MCM they are on the net.
"George R. Gonzalez" wrote in message
I have a Barco Vision II video projector that is really fuzzy,

probably
due
to cloudy coolant.

Does anyone know where to get the stuff, and how much one needs for a
typical set of 3 CRT's?

---

While we have been successful in using both baby oil and mineral oil over the
years, especially when the coolant was hard to get at any price, it is not
recommended as it is a heavier liquid and really has
very little cooling properties. The important thing is to remember what makes
the coolant go bad in the first place. "Heat" creates a
type of bacteria infection which is what you are seeing in a bad Liquid
Coupler. If you simply replace it you will have the problem again. Always best
to open it up completely and wash everything out with 91% Alcohol available from
your local drug store. Clean
the rubber gasket carefully also. Once cleaned completely, simply
put it back together, being careful that it is exactly the same way and
pay close attention to torquing the nuts properly and keeping them
even. We do suggest you then use the proper coolant which is exactly what you
use in your car, except it is a hi-grade, pure form of
antifreeze. It is made up with 70% Ethylene Glycol and 30% Glycerin, so if you
want to put your chem. experties to the test just make it yourself. However, we
would suggest MAT Electronics in Ohio (800-628-1118) or HBF Electronics in PA.
(800-426-4230). They seem to have the best price on the stuff, at about $6.00 a
bottle.
You will use about two bottles in order to do all three guns. The exact RCA
replacement number for the fluid is #212072. Use it when ordering from any
source supplier. We completely rebuild about 10 to 14 pro-jo's a week. If we
can be of any assistance, don't
hesitate to contact us.
Later,
Jim