dead GE microwave oven

Old February 23rd 04, 06:51 PM
Chuck Chopp

Default dead GE microwave oven

I have a GE Profile combination microwave/convection oven mounted over my
range top in my kitchen. This appliance came with the house when I moved in
here, and the label inside the door frame on it indicates that it was mfg'd
in 1994. It has been working fine for the past 5 years until I enountered a
problem with it just within the last 2 weeks. It started with some
occurrences of food not being properly heated even though I was cooking food
in it using the same cooking time & power level settings that I had
previously used to prepare the exact same type of food. Yesterday, the
microwave stopped heating entirely.

The digital clock, control keypad, fan, light, vent blower and convection
oven functions still operate properly. However, there is no heating
occurring when the microwave oven function is used. While the oven is
supposed to be cooking with microwaves it now makes an odd buzzing noise
that it previously did not make.

What I'm wondering is given the type of combo oven this is, and its age, am
I looking at repair bill that would be a significant portion of the
replacement cost for a new microwave oven? Also, I'm looking at moving in
the next 8 to 10 months so I really don't want to sink a whole lot of money
into getting it fixed. I don't know if the magnetron tube itself has gone
defective or if some other portion of the circuitry has failed, but I've
heard that magnetron tubes are not inexpensive to replace.

I figured I'd ask here before unmounting it from the wall/cabinet and
hauling it to an appliance repair shop for an estimate.

TIA,

Chuck

Old February 23rd 04, 07:50 PM
Sofie

Chuck Chopp:
The only way to determine if repairing the problem you are having with your
Microwave Oven is serious/expensive OR simple/inexpensive is for you to go
ahead with your plan to TAKE it to a repair shop for an ESTIMATE of the
repair cost..... that way you can make a decision with facts instead of
internet or telephone guesses.
The cover will have to come off and proper tests made to determine what the
exact problem is.
The inside of a Microwave Oven is easily the most dangerous piece of
consumer electronics that is in your home and should only be opened up by a
trained and experienced repair person.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie