Larry & Ingrid Maler

Default Yamaha R-8 A/V receiver

Hello all,
I'm wondering if someone might know what I may have done and how to fix it.

I have an old Yamaha R-8 receiver (circa 1985). I plugged it into a pair of
4-ohm speakers, without checking the back of the amp. Since then I looked
at the amp which specifies 8-ohm or 16-ohm speakers only.

Anyway, it worked beautifully for about 30 minutes, then sputtered once,
came back for a minute, then died completely.

By that, I mean that:
1. Other components plugged into the switched plug will work, no problem,
when the receiver is switched on.
2. The receiver's fuse is not blown.
3. When switched on, no lights appear on the receiver, and it does not
output sound.

What have I done? Does anyone know of any kind of reset button? Anything?
I hate to have to throw it out, because it still sounds incredible, but it
probably isn't worth paying money to repair it.

Thanks for your help!

Larry

James Sweet

"Larry & Ingrid Maler" wrote in message
[...]

There may be an internal fuse that blew, but more likely you overheated the
power transformer and blew the internal thermal protection fuse. There's a
chance you can repair it, but you'll likely have to dig into the outer
wrapping over the transformer windings on the primary side to locate the
fuse and replace it with one of the same temperature rating.