Bob F.

Default Yippee!! I'm a Thompson Comsumer Electronics Class Action Lawsuit Member!!

Well, well, well. My ship has finally come in!! I arrived home last night
to find a blue envelope from the TAL CLAIMS CENTER, P.O. BOX 1196,
Minneapolis, MN 55440 informing me that I was a member of a group of (all
caps is how it's written) ALL UNITED STATES RESIDENTS WHO OWN AN RCA, GE, OR
PROSCAN BRANDED TELEVISION MANUFACTURED BETWEEN NOVEMBER 1, 1996 AND MARCH
31, 2001 WITH ONE OF THE FOLLOWING CHASSIS: CTC 195, 197, AND 203 ("THOMPSON
TELEVISIONS") THAT MAY HAVE EXPERIENCED TEMPORARY AUDIO LOSS.

According to the documentation, I just have to fill out a little, bitty
form, send it in to TAL CLAIMS CENTER, and I'll receive $130!! This is
great news!! That $130 will go a long way to paying for a new main video
board that is no longer working either!!

For any of you other poor saps out there who want to get in on the gravy
train, you can request additional Claim Forms by calling the Claims
administrator at 1-800-876-2934.

On page 5 of the claims form, it instructs me that "Thompson has agreed,
subject to Court approval, to pay a separate sum of $6,900,000 in full" to
"Class Counsel".

Just to sum things up:

Price I Paid for TV (in 1998): $1600
Total Amount Thompson is making available for Class Actions Claiments:
$27,000,000
Total to be Received by the Law Firm that Brought the Lawsuit: $6,900,000
My Final Payout: $130

If somone gave you the TV as a gift then you're inline for a $25 rebate on
your next RCA TV purchase!!!

Everyone's a WINNER at Thompson Consumer Electronics!!

Jason D.

Total to be Received by the Law Firm that Brought the Lawsuit: $6,900,000
My Final Payout: $130

Not worth your trouble to get lawyers extract blood from makers like
this frivolus thing and still ruin the sets bec that money isn't spent
to design future decent stuff. At least tell them what you want: good
design, features etc and willing to pay for that ever it comes out.

The shop should do the repair properly and not shotgun expensive
chips, most of time a component is the problem also there is several
bulletins for 195/197 on tuner alone, one or two for 203.

I have not seen a major failures on these 195/197 chassis yet. On 203
chassis the secondary effect especially if customer didn't bring it in
right away at first hint of problem (no picture with working audio or
squealling tv.).

Everyone's a WINNER at Thompson Consumer Electronics!!

Everybody is winner if there's goodwill warrenty if you talk to
thomson's nicely or simply pay to repair and be done with it.

Those lawyers is ones you don't want to get involved especially if
there is safety or criminal issues.

Btw, we're still resoldering CTC17x/CTC187 tuners even it was original
and way out of warrenty and we get happy customers and we earn our
living in the end.

Cheers,

Wizard
Shoreline Electronics

And...I don't think the audio issues are permanently resolved by any real
fix.....other than Re-iniializing with the chipper check!

Or in some cases......unplugging for 10 minutes!

$130 rebate for the hassle I guess.

--
==========================
Jeff Stielau

========================
"If you push something hard enough it will fall over."
Fudd's First Law of Opposition - Sir Sidney Fudd

"Jason D." wrote in message
[...]

k_teppo

"Bob F." wrote in message ...
[...]

Are residents of Canada eligible to win as well?

-k
Bob F.

" $27,000,000
Total to be Received by the Law Firm that Brought the Lawsuit:

$6,900,000
My Final Payout: $130

If somone gave you the TV as a gift then you're inline for a $25 rebate

on
your next RCA TV purchase!!!

Everyone's a WINNER at Thompson Consumer Electronics!!

Are residents of Canada eligible to win as well?

Sorry, this NOTICE OF PROPOSED CLASS SETTLEMENT applies only for residents
of the good, ole' USA. Or at least that's what it says in the document that
I received.
Bob F.