porch13

Default Sony Cordless Phone #3 button stopped working

I have a Sony cordless phone (model SPP-A2780) and the three button
has stopped working. I took it apart and the number buttons are a
rubber pad that lays over a curcuuit board inside the phone. The pad
and board look to be in perfect shape. I cleaned both peices really
well with alcohol and the three button worked for a day and then
stopped working again. Before it stopped working completely, the
button would work if you applied a lot of pressure to it. My question
is....is there some type of conductive liquid type material that has
worn off of the back of the button that helps to make the connection?
If so, any idea where I can get my hands on some?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Rick

"porch13" wrote in message om...
I have a Sony cordless phone (model SPP-A2780) and the three button
has stopped working. I took it apart and the number buttons are a
rubber pad that lays over a curcuuit board inside the phone. The pad
and board look to be in perfect shape. I cleaned both peices really
well with alcohol and the three button worked for a day and then
stopped working again. Before it stopped working completely, the
button would work if you applied a lot of pressure to it. My question
is....is there some type of conductive liquid type material that has
worn off of the back of the button that helps to make the connection?
If so, any idea where I can get my hands on some?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

To the contrary, the usual problem is that the rubberized material
breaks down after a while, and releases a greasy film on the
connections between the buttons and contact switches. Clean
the circuit board and it should work fine.

Rick

BFriedl

A few years ago, I found some brush on conductive paint for repairing
PCB's. Perhaps there is something similar available, like a conductive
pen or similar?

--
BFriedl
A+ Certified Technician

RonKZ650

A few years ago, I found some brush on conductive paint for repairing
PCB's. Perhaps there is something similar available, like a conductive
pen or similar?

Chemtronics makes a keyboard repair kit, but it costs about $20 and only works
so-so. Your best bet is to either buy a new phone or limit yourself to numbers
that don't include 3, or best of all discard the phone so nobody can call you.
(such as "friends" needing to be bailed out of jail).
Jerry G.

The rubber key-pad requires to be changed. The conductive layer at the
bottoms of the buttons is wearing out. This keypad may be available from
Sony parts. For some of these models they may tell you to send them the
phone rather than sell the part. You have to call Sony, or one of their
parts dealers to ask about this.

Chemtronics makes a rubber keypad repair kit. It is expensive and does not
always work well on all types of rubber keypads.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com