PC KEYBOARD WIRING SCHEMATIC

Old December 17th 03, 06:01 AM
[email protected]

Default PC KEYBOARD WIRING SCHEMATIC

I am trying to wire and old 1920's typewriter to a modern PS/2
connection, AT computer keyboard. I plan to basically remove the
control IC from an old keyboard, and wire each keyswitch connection to
a momentary button, which is hooked to mechanical levers in the
typewriter. Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the internal
keyswitches in a standard PC keyboard. I havent been able to fiond one
online, all i keep getting is PS/2 pinouts, or the pinouts for the IC.
thanks in advance,
-Rich
Old December 17th 03, 07:41 PM
Eric R Snow

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 06:01:49 GMT, wrote:

I am trying to wire and old 1920's typewriter to a modern PS/2
connection, AT computer keyboard. I plan to basically remove the
control IC from an old keyboard, and wire each keyswitch connection to
a momentary button, which is hooked to mechanical levers in the
typewriter. Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the internal
keyswitches in a standard PC keyboard. I havent been able to fiond one
online, all i keep getting is PS/2 pinouts, or the pinouts for the IC.
thanks in advance,
-Rich

Greetings Rich,
I had a similar question and the answer was a device called the IPAC.
This device is a keyboard emulator. What you do is wire switches to
the device and then program each switch. This is done by plugging the
IPAC into your computer and the keyboard into the IPAC. Then, press
the switch you want to program and the IPAC will tell you to press
the key you want to emulate. So it only requires you to press the key
on the old typewriter and then press the corresponding key on your
computer keyboard. After the IPAC is programmed the computer keyboard
can be removed. This is the simplest solution and it is working well
for me. I have no connection to the IPAC other than being happy with
the device and customer service. The IPAC 4 has 56 inputs and if you
need more they can be daisy-chained.The web address is:
www.ultimarc.com
I hope this helps.
Cheers,
Eric R Snow
Old December 17th 03, 09:05 PM
petrus bitbyter

schreef in bericht
I am trying to wire and old 1920's typewriter to a modern PS/2
connection, AT computer keyboard. I plan to basically remove the
control IC from an old keyboard, and wire each keyswitch connection to
a momentary button, which is hooked to mechanical levers in the
typewriter. Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the internal
keyswitches in a standard PC keyboard. I havent been able to fiond one
online, all i keep getting is PS/2 pinouts, or the pinouts for the IC.
thanks in advance,
-Rich

Rich,

The keyboard interface to the PC has been defined. The inner workings of the
keyboard is up to the manufacturer. Most of the old keyboards I opened
contained an Intel 8048 micro with a 6MHz Xtal and some small amount of
other electronics. Keyswitches are usually placed in some matrix. Best thing
you can do is find an old AT-keyboard and wire the switches on your
typewriter according to the matrix. Then take over the keyboard electronics
as a whole.

petrus

---