Sofie

Default Residential wiring: round box & outlet?

DaveC:
You should check the bins at your local electrical/hardware store........ a
metal cover with a punchout for a standard duplex receptacle is readily
available. Most round boxes are 4" ...... however some ceiling light
fixture boxes are the smaller 3" variety and will not provide enough room to
fit a duplex receptacle......... however there are covers with a single
hole to allow the mounting of a single receptacle.... I think that these are
for a 4" round box but might be available in the 3" version....... again,
check your electrical supply stores or ask an Electrician at an Electrical
Contractors place of business.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"DaveC" wrote in message
al.net...
Round box (4", I think) flush with wall board, used to have lamp fixture
attached. Want to install overhead on ceiling one of those "pull it

down/push
it back up) adjustable lamps. Lamp cord will run along ceiling and down

the
wall in plastic Wiremold lamp cord raceway and plug into round box which

will
contain a single outlet.

I'm having problems finding a way to install a single outlet (duplex

outlet
is less desireable, but would be acceptable) in the round box, and top it

off
with a nice plastic finish plate.

I've got everything but the outlet, cover plate, and a means to mount it

in
the round box. Is any of this possible w/o ripping out the round box and
replacing it w/a standard 4-square? (The box is flush with the wall board;

no
such luck installing a mud ring...)

Thanks,
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

DaveC wrote:

Round box (4", I think) flush with wall board, used to have lamp fixture
attached. Want to install overhead on ceiling one of those "pull it down/push
it back up) adjustable lamps. Lamp cord will run along ceiling and down the
wall in plastic Wiremold lamp cord raceway and plug into round box which will
contain a single outlet.

I'm having problems finding a way to install a single outlet (duplex outlet
is less desireable, but would be acceptable) in the round box, and top it off
with a nice plastic finish plate.

This does not mean it does not exist - but I've never
seen a plastic cover plate that does what you want.

There are metal cover plates that would work. They are
round, and allow you to mount a receptacle to the plate,
then mount the plate to the box.

I've got everything but the outlet, cover plate, and a means to mount it in
the round box. Is any of this possible w/o ripping out the round box and
replacing it w/a standard 4-square? (The box is flush with the wall board; no
such luck installing a mud ring...)

You could possibly install an old work box below the
round box at the same height as other receptacles in
the room, pull romex from the new box location to the
existing round box and install your new box with a
receptacle there. Add a wall sconce at the existing
round box - it'll look better than a receptacle there.

It might be easier and/or better to just install a new
circuit (or extend an existing circuit) to a new box in
the ceiling. You'll have to decide if that is feasible.

Thanks,
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

David Gersic

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:19:55 -0800, DaveC wrote:
I've got everything but the outlet, cover plate, and a means to mount it in
the round box.

Does the round box have standard screw holes for mounting the outlet to?
I've seen single round outlets and cover plates, at Lowes I think. Don't
know if the cover plate will go over a round box, but it should.

--
| David Gersic |
| If it works, tear it apart and find out why! |
Chuck

" The cover plate in envision will have 4 screw holes: 2 for mounting the
plate
to the box, and 2 for mounting the outlet to the plate.

I presume because of mounting and strength issues, that this must be a

metal
plate. Which precludes it being a "trim" (ie, plastic) plate.

Any other suggestions how to accomplish this?

The cover plates that take a duplex outlet attach the outlet by a single
6-32 flathead screw into the center of the duplex outlet - the same point
that you usually attach a trim plate. I don't know about a round cover
plate for a single outlet (I've never seen one, but they probably exist)

You don't have to leave the metal plate bare and ugly. Degrease it with
lacquer thinner, spray on a good undercoat ( I like krylon) and then paint
it your color of choice. If the edges are rough, you can smooth them with a
file before you undercoat.

--Chuck