Eric J

Default Testing a Dual Output DC-DC Converter?

To get a dual output DC-DC converter to start, do both outputs need to
have a load? If it does, both loads would use the common reference
'ground' correct?
I read the repair FAQ on SMPS testing, but didn't notice anything
about dual output converters. I just want to make sure I'm not going
to fry something by testing it wrong.

Thanks in advance.
Jerry G.

All your questions depend on the design of the unit. There are converter
units that must have a load, and others that can free run with no danger of
damage, or no shut down at all. Many of these units that are from
particular appliances and devices are designed to work with specific load
factors. There are many reasons why the engineers will choose to do so.

The universal type or general utility devices that are designed to stand
alone, are the ones that can usually be used with no specific load
specification. This would up to the rated maximum allowable load.

You would be best off to enquire to the manufacture for speciation and
application ratings for your device. Or, if you can have a detailed
schematic and have the knowledge base, you can trace out the circuits and
make the determination for yourself.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com
Instruments http://www.zoom-one.com/glgtech.htm

"Eric J" wrote in message
om...
To get a dual output DC-DC converter to start, do both outputs need to
have a load? If it does, both loads would use the common reference
'ground' correct?
I read the repair FAQ on SMPS testing, but didn't notice anything
about dual output converters. I just want to make sure I'm not going
to fry something by testing it wrong.

Thanks in advance.

N3KCT

At work,we check the potted brick converters at no-load
with low&high extreme input voltages. Then we do a
full load test at extreme input voltages. Then we repeat
the whole thing at -40degC, and again at +85degC.
Usually when they fail, they fail under the hot tests, at full load,
due to output voltage sag.

N3KCT

At work,we check the potted brick converters at no-load
with low&high extreme input voltages. Then we do a
full load test at extreme input voltages. Then we repeat
the whole thing at -40degC, and again at +85degC.
Usually when they fail, they fail under the hot tests, at full load,
due to output voltage sag.

computer interface help with at least 29 output ports Ryan Kremser Electronics 18 December 17th 04 08:50 PM
Testing 3 phase motors Pal Metalworking 1 July 11th 04 11:50 PM
Laws requiring portable appliance testing and electrical installation testing if any? Z UK diy 9 June 14th 04 11:00 AM
Motor Phases SRF Metalworking 20 October 23rd 03 09:32 AM
Phase converter balancing Karl Townsend Metalworking 7 July 13th 03 12:48 AM