Ron Novini

Default Sony Model KV-32XBR48 slow turn on and flashing video for short period at turn on

Have a Sony Model KV-32XBR48 32" TV with the following problem.
First, it takes a rather long time for the video to come on. On most
Sonys that I have encountered, the stereo indicator light will flash
for about 8 times before the video comes on. On this unit, it takes
about 20 flashes before the video comes on. When the video does finally
turn on, it will intermittently go off (as if the video is being muted)
and on (off for a few seconds, on for longer than a few seconds). It
will cycle through this process for about a minute or two before the
video will finally stay on. I have resoldered areas (horizontal drive,
vertical, power supply) with no change in symptom. Any help would be
greatly appreciated. Thanks Ron.

Jerry G.

There are many reasons for this type of fault. Some of the most common are
problems in the main power supply, one of the scan circuits are not properly
starting up, and or the high voltage or screen bias to the tube may not be
coming up properly. Any one or combination of these faults can trigger the
protection circuits to not allow HV to come up.

One cause that we see from time to time is that the picture tube (CRT) is
starting to go weak. When it is weak, the HV current is too low, and the
protection circuits will hold off the HV until the CRT is working correctly.
As the tube ages, it will take longer for it to warm up.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com
Instruments http://www.zoom-one.com/glgtech.htm

"Ron Novini" wrote in message
news:d6ae6f831fe4b3f5198e2e720a4ffb29.123933@mygat e.mailgate.org...
Have a Sony Model KV-32XBR48 32" TV with the following problem.
First, it takes a rather long time for the video to come on. On most
Sonys that I have encountered, the stereo indicator light will flash
for about 8 times before the video comes on. On this unit, it takes
about 20 flashes before the video comes on. When the video does finally
turn on, it will intermittently go off (as if the video is being muted)
and on (off for a few seconds, on for longer than a few seconds). It
will cycle through this process for about a minute or two before the
video will finally stay on. I have resoldered areas (horizontal drive,
vertical, power supply) with no change in symptom. Any help would be
greatly appreciated. Thanks Ron.

David

Feel free to do a gGoogle groups search for Sony AKB, video flashing etc.

Assuming no other problems with the set, more than likely the picture tube
is simply too weak and the AKB is having a hard time compensating for the
poor tube. If when the video is flashing and you put on a black and white
movie, is it really black and white or is it shifted to some off color? If
it is shifted a very good chance the tube is simply worn out.

Strongly suggest you find someone with lots of experience on the Sony line
of tv sets to do a proper internal diagnosis to confirm the actual cause of
the failure.
David

Ron Novini wrote in message
news:d6ae6f831fe4b3f5198e2e720a4ffb29.123933@mygat e.mailgate.org...
Have a Sony Model KV-32XBR48 32" TV with the following problem.
First, it takes a rather long time for the video to come on. On most
Sonys that I have encountered, the stereo indicator light will flash
for about 8 times before the video comes on. On this unit, it takes
about 20 flashes before the video comes on. When the video does finally
turn on, it will intermittently go off (as if the video is being muted)
and on (off for a few seconds, on for longer than a few seconds). It
will cycle through this process for about a minute or two before the
video will finally stay on. I have resoldered areas (horizontal drive,
vertical, power supply) with no change in symptom. Any help would be
greatly appreciated. Thanks Ron.

Ron Novini

"Ron Novini" wrote in message
news:d6ae6f831fe4b3f5198e2e720a4ffb29.123933@mygat e.mailgate.org

Have a Sony Model KV-32XBR48 32" TV with the following problem.
First, it takes a rather long time for the video to come on. On most
Sonys that I have encountered, the stereo indicator light will flash
for about 8 times before the video comes on. On this unit, it takes
about 20 flashes before the video comes on. When the video does finally
turn on, it will intermittently go off (as if the video is being muted)
and on (off for a few seconds, on for longer than a few seconds). It
will cycle through this process for about a minute or two before the
video will finally stay on. I have resoldered areas (horizontal drive,
vertical, power supply) with no change in symptom. Any help would be
greatly appreciated. Thanks Ron.

Update: Audio lost after several hours operation. Am I having trouble
with jungle IC? Is that IC351 on main board? Thanks Ron