Mike

Default Problem with turning on monitor

I have this bizarre power issue with my ViewSonic 21PS (CRT) monitor.
When attempting to turn ON the monitor the green indicator would turn
ON for 2 seconds and then go OFF, without powering up the kinescope.
So then I again try to turn the monitor on, so again the green
indicator would come ON for 2 seconds, and then go OFF without
powering up the kinescope. The bizarre part is that usually after
that two attempts, if I try to turn ON the monitor once more, it works
as intended. The green indicator comes on, the monitor degauss, then
starts to display, and everything works perfectly. That is to next
day that I have to turn it back on, and the procedure repeats.

Once the monitor is ON, it does what it suppose to do. When I don't
use it for a while, it goes to standby mode and then it comes back
without problems from the standby mode. There are no problems with
the quality of the displayed image, or anything. It is just this
bizarre issue with turning it ON each day.

I thought that this problem might have been caused by graphic card,
but even when the monitor is not connected to the computer (or when
computer is OFF when turning on the monitor) same issue occurs.

Has anyone experience similar behavior with any of the ViewSonic CRT
monitors, or any other monitor for that manner? Or perhaps someone
could shade some light as with why such bazaar behavior might occur
when turning ON the monitor?

Any inside to this manner is greatly appreciated!
Jerry G.

If you are skilled at servicing monitors, check for high ESR caps in the
power supply and scan circuits. More than likely there are some caps
that are starting to fail.

Without an ESR meter, the only way to test the caps is to replace them
one by one, until you weed out the defective ones. As they age they go
off value, and also go high in ESR. In your case there are probably a
number of critical caps that have become temperature sensitive.

Delaying the repair, may lead to more serious failure.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com