Patch

Default Zenith Sentry 2 TV

"glasnostJDC" JDC@(NO SPAM)cnyconnect.net wrote in message
Hello, I have a Zenith Sentry 2 model sj2063s5 that I picked up for
free. I've repaired monitor's and TV's before but nothing so far with this
problem. If I leave the TV off for a day when I turn it on it shows a good
picture for about 30 seconds, then horizontal lines of distrotion distort
the picture (look like this:
---___________
---___________
---___________
there distrotions of the image being put on screen) and any graghic menus.
There is a high pitched noise from the unit, If I turn it right back on

the
picture still has distrotion. I did a light hit test for joints and it
didn't affect it, I still have to go through and check joints (will do
soon). If I'm right this is a problem in the verticle circuit of this TV?
Really all I'm woundering is a direction to go and any one who may have

had
a similar problem with this unit. I've not found exactly this problem on a
group search through google. Any help and information would be great and

thank all who reply.
--
-glasnostJDC

Sounds like the Horizontal oscillator is going off frequency. Most likely

a bad electrolytic cap. If you have an ESR meter you might be able to locate
it.

David

Has been addressed many times here. Do a Google groups search for
horizontal sawtooth and Zenith (possibly search by chassis or module
number). C2212 maybe? a 22uf on the 9v line to the jungle ic.

Of if it is really bright, the classic way the Zenith tubes short
internally.

A specific chassis number and year of manufacture will help a lot in
narrowing down other possibilities. Model numbers mean very little
for tv repair.

David

[...]
group search through google. Any help and information would be great and I
thank all who reply.

David

So please give more details. Which is brighter? Is one too bright or too
dark?
That set may have a limited service menu, early Zenith service menus did
have eeprom value settings for rf brightness and video brightness.

If the video input is low, you could have a weak capacitor in the video
path. Too weak and the picture will roll.

David

glasnostJDC JDC@(NO SPAM)cnyconnect.net wrote in message
Oh for starters the modual number is 9-1118 and was made August 1991
the chassis I've read is the same as the model # for this series? I tryed

find it any way but no such luck. My last major problem is brightness
differences between line level and coax inputs. Any suggestions? The
capacitor was the fix (C2212) for my posted problem. But for this
brightness difference problem I'm not sure, I've seen something posted
before but it was all dead ends. I've got a couple of work arounds but I
want to know if there is a knowen componant or componants that break down
that cause that problem. Any help would be great and thanks to all agian

who
have helped this far.

-glasnostJDC

"David" wrote in message
om...
Has been addressed many times here. Do a Google groups search for
horizontal sawtooth and Zenith (possibly search by chassis or module
number). C2212 maybe? a 22uf on the 9v line to the jungle ic.

Of if it is really bright, the classic way the Zenith tubes short
internally.

A specific chassis number and year of manufacture will help a lot in
narrowing down other possibilities. Model numbers mean very little
for tv repair.

David

"glasnostJDC" JDC@(NO SPAM)cnyconnect.net wrote in message

. ..
[...]

glasnostJDC

If the brightness is adjusted correctly for the line level input, the
coax input will be darker by a large amount. Is there a setting for this in
the serivce menu, how is it accessed on this model? The screen does not roll
at all. Thank you very much for all your help so far.

-glasnostJDC

"David" wrote in message
[...]

om...