Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default tektronix 465 repair

I have a crusty old TEK 465 I saved from going into the garbage a few
years back. Finally got time to pull it off the shelf and see what's going
on with it.

I was told it was completely dead and not repairable when I salvaged it -
I thought, I'll be the judge of that. Initially it was stone dead - no
trace, no lights, no fan nothing. I found a 1.5 A fuse (F1419) blown, and
when replaced, it would blow again immediately. None of the panel lights or
the fan would come on, and all the power supply voltages were low.

I found one bad capacitor that was grounding the +15, when it started
smoking (some faults are easier to locate than others). Replaced it and then
found another cap, C1419, that was shorted that was blowing F1419. Replaced
it and now the lights and scale illumination and fan come on.

When I press the beam finder, I get a large dot flash and then nothing.
Letting off the beam finder and adjusting the controls for a normal trace,
I noticed that the whole screen is sort of illuminated. If I slow the sweep
way down, I see that a dim 3/4 inch wide by whole screen tall bar goes
across the screen, at about the rate you'd expect on the slow sweep
settings - so that looks like the HV and the time base stuff is more or less
working.

I'm guessing I have some sort of vertical amplifier problem. Before diving
back into the schematics, I thought I'd ask, anyone ever seen this symptom
before?

--
Lee K. Gleason N5ZMR
Control-G Consultants

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/20/2014 5:03 PM, Lee Gleason wrote:

[...]

Re-capping the whole thing would be a good start, I expect. I have a
475 that I'll have to do that to one of these days.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/20/2014 2:03 PM, Lee Gleason wrote:

[...]

I'd go check all the caps. Over the last few years, I've had more and more
caps fail in tek stuff. Originally was the teardrop tantalums, but more
recently, all types.
I don't have a schematic handy, but if you can check the bleeder
resistors in the HV supply, I'd do that. There should be HV test
point that you can check with a normal multimeter.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/20/2014 4:03 PM, Lee Gleason wrote:

[...]

There's a good TEK yahoo group that might be helpful.

Mikek
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Lee Gleason" wrote in message

[...]

I would recommend going through the adjustments section of the service
manual. That will offer you a chance to find any out-of-spec parts. The Tek
manuals are very complete and include a theory of operation section that
will answer most questions.
Pay attention to the ripple/noise specs on the power supply test points. The
+55 volt rail serves as the main reference for the rest of the supplies.

Regards

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/20/2014 3:43 PM, Tom Miller wrote:

[...]

That's a good idea, but concentrate on getting the numbers close by
fixing busted stuff. I'd recommend against randomly tweaking stuff
in an attempt to fix hardware problems.
That assumes that the previous owner exercised similar restraint
when he tried to fix it.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Are the voltages on the vertical plates close ?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 15:03:27 -0700, Lee Gleason
wrote:

[...]

Did you ask the TEK group?

I saw some detailed info go by there, often.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 16:03:27 -0600, "Lee Gleason"
wrote:

I'm guessing I have some sort of vertical amplifier problem. Before diving
back into the schematics, I thought I'd ask, anyone ever seen this symptom
before?

These may help:
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/tektronix-465-repair-and-restoration/
http://www.spurtikus.de/basteln/repair/tek465/index.html

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I'm guessing I have some sort of vertical amplifier problem. Before diving
back into the schematics, I thought I'd ask, anyone ever seen this symptom
before?

These may help:
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/tektronix-465-repair-and-restoration/
http://www.spurtikus.de/basteln/repair/tek465/index.html

Great Links!

Here's another that may be useful (see the first two items listed under
"Documents"): http://www.hakanh.com/dl/

Happy Holidays, everyone