Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Toshiba D-VR610 DVD/VCR Combo always ejects

Hello. I purchased this combo player/dvd recorder a few years back. Only played about 10 vhs tapes with it, as I transferred old stuff to dvd. Then it began to do what it does in this video: it will accept the tape, seat the tape, then eject it and create a situation where there's a string of tape not wound back into the cassette:

http://youtu.be/s2e9OQBMAy8

Hopefully someone knows what's going on. I don't have a ton of tapes, but would like to transfer my few remaining home videos before retiring the format forever. Thanks.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 28 Sep 2014, wrote:

Hello. I purchased this combo player/dvd recorder a few years back. Only played about 10 vhs tapes with it, as I transferred old stuff to dvd. Then it began to do what it does in this video: it will accept the tape, seat the tape, then eject it and create a situation where there's a string of tape not wound back into the cassette:

http://youtu.be/s2e9OQBMAy8

Hopefully someone knows what's going on. I don't have a ton of tapes,
but would like to transfer my few remaining home videos before retiring
the format forever. Thanks.

There's a faq about VCRs at http:www.repairfaq.org that even includes
some photos of how the tape is supposed to wind. At least read that first
before asking a vague question.

Michael

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Black wrote in
news:alpine.LNX.2.02.1409282025490.25093@darkstar. example.org:

On Sun, 28 Sep 2014, wrote:

Hello. I purchased this combo player/dvd recorder a few years back.
Only played about 10 vhs tapes with it, as I transferred old stuff to
dvd. Then it began to do what it does in this video: it will accept
the tape, seat the tape, then eject it and create a situation where
there's a string of tape not wound back into the cassette:

http://youtu.be/s2e9OQBMAy8

Hopefully someone knows what's going on. I don't have a ton of
tapes, but would like to transfer my few remaining home videos before
retiring the format forever. Thanks.

There's a faq about VCRs at http:www.repairfaq.org that even includes
some photos of how the tape is supposed to wind. At least read that
first before asking a vague question.

Michael

If ive read the model number off your youtube video correctly, its a
Toshiba DVR-610. There appears to be a service manual online at:
http://www.manualowl.com/m/Toshiba/DVR610/Manual/274957
but it doesnt cover the details of the VCR mechaninsm.

95% odds its got deteriorated rubber parts, probably a drive belt or
idler tyre, or maybe a friction clutch has gone bad. Its supposed to
drive the takeup reel during the early stages of unloading to wind the
loop of tape back into the cassette.

Basically it needs servicing. If you had the skills to do this, you
wouldn't be asking here what's wrong with it and most of the combo units
even from leading brand manufacturers were pretty cruddy to start with so
it is probably not cost effective to have it serviced, even if parts are
still obtainable.

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

Thank you sir for the info.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 29/09/2014 01:12, wrote:
Hello. I purchased this combo player/dvd recorder a few years back. Only played about 10 vhs tapes with it, as I transferred old stuff to dvd. Then it began to do what it does in this video: it will accept the tape, seat the tape, then eject it and create a situation where there's a string of tape not wound back into the cassette:

http://youtu.be/s2e9OQBMAy8

Hopefully someone knows what's going on. I don't have a ton of tapes, but would like to transfer my few remaining home videos before retiring the format forever. Thanks.

most likely perished rubber pulley tyre or drive band, or failed slip
clutch or less likely something jammed under jockey-wheel swing arm

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, September 28, 2014 8:12:25 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hello. I purchased this combo player/dvd recorder a few years back. Only played about 10 vhs tapes with it, as I transferred old stuff to dvd. Then it began to do what it does in this video: it will accept the tape, seat the tape, then eject it and create a situation where there's a string of tape not wound back into the cassette:

http://youtu.be/s2e9OQBMAy8

Hopefully someone knows what's going on. I don't have a ton of tapes, but would like to transfer my few remaining home videos before retiring the format forever. Thanks.

Haven't touched a VCR in 10 years or more, but I seem to recall that by the time DVD recorders were being packaged with VHS decks, the VHS decks were all direct drive except for the capstan belt and possibly the take up belt.

Other than a stretched belt, I'd look more towards a bad position encoder switch or broken tooth in one of the function racks.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 28 Sep 2014 17:12:25 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Hello. I purchased this combo player/dvd recorder a few years back. Only played about 10 vhs tapes with it, as I transferred old stuff to dvd. Then it began to do what it does in this video: it will accept the tape, seat the tape, then eject it and create a situation where there's a string of tape not wound back into the cassette:

http://youtu.be/s2e9OQBMAy8

Hopefully someone knows what's going on. I don't have a ton of tapes, but would like to transfer my few remaining home videos before retiring the format forever. Thanks.

This unit has the worst vcr mechanism I have ever seen. The gear
drive that turns the take up hub and the braking system are so poorly
designed that it is amazing that they work at all. My suggestion is
to find an older vcr to play the tapes and run video and audio cables
to a DVD recorder.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

As others said it may be a slipping belt or dirty position switch. In any case it may end accepting the tape if you try enough times. I've had that happen to me, by trying many times the switch may clean or the rubber improve grip.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 28 Sep 2014 17:12:25 -0700, jeffreyscottarnold wrote:

Hello. I purchased this combo player/dvd recorder a few years back.
Only played about 10 vhs tapes with it, as I transferred old stuff to
dvd. Then it began to do what it does in this video: it will accept the
tape, seat the tape, then eject it and create a situation where there's
a string of tape not wound back into the cassette:

http://youtu.be/s2e9OQBMAy8

Hopefully someone knows what's going on. I don't have a ton of tapes,
but would like to transfer my few remaining home videos before retiring
the format forever. Thanks.

My take on that is a friction pad, just a piece of felt often glued to a
copper spindle brake wrapped around the spindle.

At least that's what I've most often seen with that symptom.

A bit of felt glued back inside the brake will fix it easily in most
cases.

OTOH you say it's a combo TV -VCR and those a royal PITA to take apart
and put back together, so much so I refuse to work on any combos myself.
YMMV
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 9/29/2014 1:09 PM, Wayne Chirnside wrote:
[...]

Been a long time, but, if memory serves...
There's a light pipe that pokes thru that hole in the bottom of the tape.
There's a sensor on the edge of the tape.
As I recall, mine had that symptom when there was some gunk on that sensor
blocking the light.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, September 29, 2014 4:09:10 PM UTC-4, Wayne Chirnside wrote:

My take on that is a friction pad, just a piece of felt often glued to a

copper spindle brake wrapped around the spindle.

At least that's what I've most often seen with that symptom.

Not in this case.. Watch the video again, the cylinder motor isn't running, which is why it's aborting the operation. The cylinder motor should spin the head up before the tape guides get anywhere near the head. Why the capstan motor isn't taking up the slack during unload is another question. This machine came out long after I stopped doing VHS machines.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

You say in the video that you had the unit for about 9 months, but
below, you say that you purchased it a few years back. How many years?
Did you buy it new, or was it used?

First off, you should check the power supply voltages to make sure
they are OK. Maybe look for bulged caps.

Generally speaking, VCR's load the cartridge until the "tape down"
switch is activated. Then, the posts should start wrapping the tape
around the head.

I would guess that the "tape down" sensor/switch is working because it
starts to load the tape around the head. However, the head doesn't
spin, and the take-up reel doesn't turn when unloading.