Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What can I learn from, or make with, a Direct TV receiver?

It was on a pile of discards that a former neighbor left behind. A
D12-300 if the number is useful. It's reconditioned and four years old.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 11:56:44 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
wrote:

It was on a pile of discards that a former neighbor left behind. A
D12-300 if the number is useful. It's reconditioned and four years old.

They make excellent doorstops. Also, they can be used as bookends,
and even paperweights.

If you are into that sort of thing, you can cut off the power cords
and ask your significant other to flaggelate you for dragging home
useless junk.

PlainBill
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

spamtrap1888 wrote:

It was on a pile of discards that a former neighbor left behind. A
D12-300 if the number is useful. It's reconditioned and four years old.

A few dollars by selling it on Ebay, if it works.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 17:52:02 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

spamtrap1888 wrote:

It was on a pile of discards that a former neighbor left behind. A
D12-300 if the number is useful. It's reconditioned and four years old.

A few dollars by selling it on Ebay, if it works.

DirecTV will NOT provision a receiver that purchased in this manner.
There's no reason they can't do it, but in order to prevent a people
from going into business selling stolen receivers, they demand that
all such receivers be returned to DirecTV. If you ask, they'll send
you a mailing box.

There's not much you're going to learn from the box. However, if you
get a dish, LNB, some coax, and spend some time getting it setup,
you'll be able to watch some promo and test channels without
purchasing service.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
spamtrap1888 wrote:

It was on a pile of discards that a former neighbor left behind. A
D12-300 if the number is useful. It's reconditioned and four years old..

* A few dollars by selling it on Ebay, if it works.

DirecTV will NOT provision a receiver that purchased in this manner.
There's no reason they can't do it, but in order to prevent a people
from going into business selling stolen receivers, they demand that
all such receivers be returned to DirecTV. *If you ask, they'll send
you a mailing box.

There's not much you're going to learn from the box. *However, if you
get a dish, LNB, some coax, and spend some time getting it setup,
you'll be able to watch some promo and test channels without
purchasing service.

# 831-336-2558
#http://802.11junk.com* * * * * * *
#http://www.LearnByDestroying.com* * * * * * * AE6KS

Transistors.resistors,capacitors,
transformer,,all good for scrounging,,
keep the board and throw/sell the metal
Explore the chips that are on the board,
data sheets can be interesting,,,pick out the voltage regulator
transistors,,7805 etc,
good practice,,for learning,
What is the name of this group again?
Joe in Texas

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Joe Smith wrote:

Transistors.resistors,capacitors,
transformer,,all good for scrounging,,
keep the board and throw/sell the metal
Explore the chips that are on the board,
data sheets can be interesting,,,pick out the voltage regulator
transistors,,7805 etc,
good practice,,for learning,

Small switchmode power supply, and a lot of proprietary parts. Have
you even looked inside one of them?

What is the name of this group again?

sci.electronics.REPAIR Not hacking, prototyping or junk collecting.

Joe in Texas

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Do you have the dish? If so... a wok.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

spamtrap1888 wrote:

On Aug 26, 6:04 pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Joe Smith wrote:

Transistors.resistors,capacitors,
transformer,,all good for scrounging,,
keep the board and throw/sell the metal
Explore the chips that are on the board,
data sheets can be interesting,,,pick out the voltage regulator
transistors,,7805 etc,
good practice,,for learning,

Small switchmode power supply, and a lot of proprietary parts. Have
you even looked inside one of them?

Voids the warranty if I do.

What is the name of this group again?

sci.electronics.REPAIR Not hacking, prototyping or junk collecting.

I guess I should have apologized in advance, but the question does not
fit the rubric of anything under sci.electronics except perhaps
sci.electronics.misc. But my question didn't seem to relate to the
active topics there. Correct me if I am wrong:

Get a real news server and you won't see most or any of that 'Google
Groups' posted spam.