Posted to sci.electronics.repair
isw isw is offline

Default SATA-to-USB Adapter

I have one that works fine with a 500 GB hard drive, but will not work
at all with a DVD burner I just got. Another SATA-USB adapter runs it
just fine.

So is the first one "for hard drives only", or is it defective?

Isaac
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 22:13:09 -0700, isw wrote:

I have one that works fine with a 500 GB hard drive, but will not work
at all with a DVD burner I just got. Another SATA-USB adapter runs it
just fine.

So is the first one "for hard drives only", or is it defective?

Isaac

What do the user instructions say? Did you visit the manufacturer's
website for additional information on the product? Are you trying to
adapt an eSATA to external USB drive or visa versa ?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 22:13:09 -0700, isw wrote:
I have one that works fine with a 500 GB hard drive, but will not work
at all with a DVD burner I just got. Another SATA-USB adapter runs it
just fine.

So is the first one "for hard drives only", or is it defective?

Isaac

It's probably a device driver issue. If it has never worked for you than
it is a setup issue, not a repair issue.

Try posting to an approrpiate newsgroup. If there's software involved,
a good place to start would be with a newsgroup for the particular
operating system you use.

Hint: driver advice for linux or mac won't help you if you run windows,
advice for windows version 7 won't help you if you run windows xp,
98, etc.

Also, in the history of computing, believe it or not, there's been
more than one SATA-USB adapter sold. Why do you think knowing
the maker and model wouldn't be useful information?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
isw isw is offline

In article ,
Meat Plow wrote:

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 22:13:09 -0700, isw wrote:

I have one that works fine with a 500 GB hard drive, but will not work
at all with a DVD burner I just got. Another SATA-USB adapter runs it
just fine.

So is the first one "for hard drives only", or is it defective?

Isaac

What do the user instructions say?

There are none.

Did you visit the manufacturer's website for additional information on the product?

There are no markings on the board (it was inside a case before I pulled
it out).

Are you trying to adapt an eSATA to external USB drive or visa versa?

My ATA disc burner died. I could not find another ATA drive, so I got a
SATA. The SATA to USB card has been working just fine just fine on a 500
GB hard drive. When I stick it on the DVD burner, I can open and close
the tray from the Mac, but the burn software always reports that there
is an "unreadable" CD-RW in the drive, no matter what is actually in
there. When I stick a disc in, the laser traverses a few times, but
that's all that ever happens.

It's probably an older adapter, so I was wondering if it might not be
able to handle a burner.

Isaac
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
isw isw is offline

In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 22:13:09 -0700, isw wrote:
I have one that works fine with a 500 GB hard drive, but will not work
at all with a DVD burner I just got. Another SATA-USB adapter runs it
just fine.

So is the first one "for hard drives only", or is it defective?

Isaac

It's probably a device driver issue. If it has never worked for you than
it is a setup issue, not a repair issue.

As I already said:

The adapter works fine with a different drive (a standard hard drive,
not an optical one).

The new DVD burner works fine with a different SATA-USB adapter.

Try posting to an approrpiate newsgroup. If there's software involved,
a good place to start would be with a newsgroup for the particular
operating system you use.

No software is involved.

Hint: driver advice for linux or mac won't help you if you run windows,
advice for windows version 7 won't help you if you run windows xp,
98, etc.

Well, that's sort of stating the obvious. Of course, often *nothing*
will help you if you run Windows.

Also, in the history of computing, believe it or not, there's been
more than one SATA-USB adapter sold. Why do you think knowing
the maker and model wouldn't be useful information?

Well, it might. If the card had happened to have anything like that on
it, I would have mentioned it. Sadly, it did not.

Isaac

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 21:46:47 -0700, isw wrote:

As I already said:

The adapter works fine with a different drive (a standard hard drive,
not an optical one).

The new DVD burner works fine with a different SATA-USB adapter.

Both irrelevent.

Has the adapter in question *ever* worked with an optical drive?
I don't care if it works with hard drives.
I don't care if optical drives have worked with other adapters.

If not, it is most likely a setup issue or design issue. How the
the hell can you say it is in need of repair if you've never seen it
work?

Try posting to an approrpiate newsgroup. If there's software involved,
a good place to start would be with a newsgroup for the particular
operating system you use.

No software is involved.

Bull****. Do you even know what software is?
My god, how can anybody be this stupid.

Hint: driver advice for linux or mac won't help you if you run windows,
advice for windows version 7 won't help you if you run windows xp,
98, etc.

Well, that's sort of stating the obvious. Of course, often *nothing*
will help you if you run Windows.

Well, what the hell are you running? You've managed a mild whine about
windows. Are you using windows? What version? Linux? What distribution?
What version? Ditto for mac, bsd, solaris... what the **** are you running?!??

Also, in the history of computing, believe it or not, there's been
more than one SATA-USB adapter sold. Why do you think knowing
the maker and model wouldn't be useful information?

Well, it might. If the card had happened to have anything like that on
it, I would have mentioned it. Sadly, it did not.

What the hell are you babbling about? You're saying there's no chipset
on the card at all? That's amazing! No software. Now, it's doesn't have
hardware either. wow! NO maker. No model. Too bad you didn't mention what
operating system you run; you could have been told how to query the the USB
bus and find out via a simple software query. Oh, wait a minute. It one
of those magic devices that has no software, not even a single byte of firmware.

You continue the stunning behavior of not posting what make and model you're
talking about. You continue the stunning stupdity of believing that all
usb-sata adapters are identical. You can't be helped. You're simply
too stupid.

I'm through with you.
Go bank your head against a wall. It is all you are capable.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

As I already said:

[...]

The OP thinks that the adapter should be compatible with any device
that follows the ATA / ATAPI command set. Obviously there are some
commands issued by the software that are not being interpreted properly
by the adapter and then sent on to the optical device. These commands may
be outside the list of interpretable commands that particular adapter
recognizes. That's not too hard to vision knowing the ATA/ATAPI command
set was outlined and implemented before optical storage on DVD media.

I tend to agree with the OP. It should work. But that doesn't mean it
will.