DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sony KDS55A2000 optical block rebuild? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/310517-sony-kds55a2000-optical-block-rebuild.html)

[email protected] September 23rd 10 11:29 AM

Sony KDS55A2000 optical block rebuild?

I have read there are rebuilt optical blocks available, rather than
shell out $1,000+ for a new one. Anyone here have any idea what is
involved with rebuilding them. I repair TV's as a hobby, been doing it
for several years now, so I assume I could do this. I should point out
what's wrong with the set. It doesn't have the green haze issue, but
my buddy (his TV) said he saw several small yellowish patches around
the screen, which really were visible with a solid background color,
such as grey. This morning he told me he doesn't see this now on the
TV, but in the event it is the block, I hate to see him have to trash
this three year old set. As always, thanks for any info or suggestions.

Mark Zacharias[_3_] September 23rd 10 01:54 PM

wrote in message
I have read there are rebuilt optical blocks available, rather than
shell out $1,000+ for a new one. Anyone here have any idea what is
involved with rebuilding them. I repair TV's as a hobby, been doing it
for several years now, so I assume I could do this. I should point out
what's wrong with the set. It doesn't have the green haze issue, but
my buddy (his TV) said he saw several small yellowish patches around
the screen, which really were visible with a solid background color,
such as grey. This morning he told me he doesn't see this now on the
TV, but in the event it is the block, I hate to see him have to trash
this three year old set. As always, thanks for any info or suggestions.

There are still a few of these being covered by Sony as a sort of secret
recall.

Your friend needs to check with Sony customer service and see if his model
is covered.

Mark Z.

[email protected] September 24th 10 01:10 PM

Sony KDS55A2000 optical block rebuild?

On Sep 23, 6:54*am, "Mark Zacharias"
wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Thanks Mark. I wasn't sure if the extended warranty on these had
expired.