1999 Ford Windstar Front Electronic Module replace/repair?

Old June 6th 10, 02:08 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 1999 Ford Windstar Front Electronic Module replace/repair?

Charlie schrieb:

http://falk-willberg.de/Windstar/FEM-Loetseite.jpeg
http://falk-willberg.de/Windstar/FEM-Bauteile.jpeg

If you can get to the card as shown in the pictures while the car is
running, take a small piece of wood or plastic where you can trim the end to
look like chisel shape and run it across the solder joints as if you were
painting them and watch for anything strange to happen.

No way, unfortunately. I reconnected the module and slightest movements
at any cable causes different effects.

Next I will try to find a Ford dealer who is capable and willing to help
the poor guy who owns the car.

Falk
Old June 6th 10, 02:39 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jun 5, 3:27*pm, PeterD wrote:
On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 12:49:26 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow
wrote:

On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 14:40:46 +0200, Falk Willberg ??o??:

A friend's 1999 Ford Windstar started to cause trouble a year ago: The
right front turn indicator went on once, then off and a problem with the
bulb was displayed, even though it was ok. Connecting front and side
indicator lamp "solved" the problem.
Later more electric devices, all controlled by this "FEM" went "mad":
Interior lights flashed, windscreen wiper turned on and off randomly,
theft protection sounded alarm without a cause. Almost all 2pin
SMD-Components are slightly misplaced, probably causing bad soldering:
(http://www.falk-willberg.de/Windstar/FEM-1.jpeg).

While removing the FEM from the car, the interior lights started
flashing. It stopped, when I knocked on the Module...

I would prefer to get a "FEM" from a junkyard, but the Ford dealer says,
that the module must be "clear", because otherwise the central computer
would refuse to communicate with the module. Any way to "clear" the
module?

I could re-solder bad junctions, if I had an idea, where to start (I
don't want to do all of them).

Grateful for any advice,
Falk

If the module has data stored in volatile RAM then removing the voltage
source responsible for holding that data in RAM would flush it. You did
talk to the person who advised you to clear the module on a way to do it?

The module will have non-volital information such as the VIN number
and vehicle options stored in it. This information must be updated to
match the vehicle, or the module will refuse to work.

Ford has diagnostic tools that do this. All Ford dealers have these
tools. Despite what the OP says, they (the tools) are not obsolete and
the dealers do have them. Whether the dealer will want to use the
tools is a different question.- Hide quoted text -

Some dealers will ONLY sell new parts and will not help anybody
replace used parts.
Old June 6th 10, 03:08 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 07:44:00 -0400, Tim Schwartz ǝʇoɹʍ:

On 6/5/2010 8:40 AM, Falk Willberg wrote:
[...]

Hmmm,

I'd also suspect the 2 OMRON relays. Can you tap on them with

the car
running and see what happens?

Also, this board looks like it has a conformal coating on it.

Not so
easy to resolder.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz

I repaired a Dodge SMEC that was potted in entirety in silicone rubber.
Wasn't the easiest to do but it can be done if you are willing or
desperate. In my case it was desperation as i didn't have $300 for a
rebuilt unit. And in the 88 Dodge Dakota 4x4 the SMEC controls much of
the things the Ford FEM does even though its primary duty is engine
control.
Old June 7th 10, 06:26 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi!

No way, unfortunately. I reconnected the module and slightest
movements at any cable causes different effects.

It seems to me like the fix would be fairly easy, then...check the
connectors for bad solder joints and repair them.

Apart from the relays, it really doesn't look like there is much to go
wrong on that board.

William
Old June 19th 10, 01:48 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Tim Schwartz schrieb:
On 6/5/2010 8:40 AM, Falk Willberg wrote:

I would prefer to get a "FEM" from a junkyard, but the Ford dealer says,
that the module must be "clear", because otherwise the central computer
would refuse to communicate with the module. Any way to "clear" the
module?

For the records: A used module (FEM) from the junkyard works perfectly.
Today we replaced the bad one and all is fine.

Falk