Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default ? on high-pressure sodium lights

Does the "starter" continue to function once the lamp is going, or does it
"drop out"? Just wondering. I fixed my MIL's light by replacing the
defective coil being driven by the SIDAC NTE6419, but wife is worried that
I'm going to burn her mom's house down. I put a larger coil in, and it is
brighter than it was, so she is worried that it will overheat and catch
fire. I tell her not to worry cause if it overheats the SIDAC will fail,
shutting the whole system down. But if the "starter" (labeled "ignitor")
only comes on for a few seconds to get the lamp going, that would be better
than ever.

Thanks for any feedback,

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 08:22:52 -0600, "Dave" wrote:

Does the "starter" continue to function once the lamp is going, or does it
"drop out"? Just wondering. I fixed my MIL's light by replacing the
defective coil being driven by the SIDAC NTE6419, but wife is worried that
I'm going to burn her mom's house down. I put a larger coil in, and it is
brighter than it was, so she is worried that it will overheat and catch
fire. I tell her not to worry cause if it overheats the SIDAC will fail,
shutting the whole system down. But if the "starter" (labeled "ignitor")
only comes on for a few seconds to get the lamp going, that would be better
than ever.

Thanks for any feedback,

Dave

In the diagram at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium-vapor_lamp, near
the middle of the web page, please point out the 'starter' or
'igniter'? Most HPS lamps have just a ballast and the lamp bulb, at
least the ones I see.

Personally I'd strongly recommend not replacing the balast with
anything other than the properly designed balast, matched to the bulb.
Since you have made this change, I'd agree with your wife: the lamp is
likely unsafe and probalby should not be used.

And replacing the ballast with a different one has what to do with the
(mythical) starter? That leaves me confused...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

PeterD writes:

[...]

Agreed.

And especially, no modification should be allowed that increases the
brightness of the lamp unless the lamp is confirmed to be operating at the
spec'd current. Presumably in this case, it there was some other
problem resulting in reduced current. Brighter lamp - higher temperature,
which can result in a quick failure, hopefully not very explosively.

If there is no external igniter circuit, there may be one built into
the lamp.

Don't believe everything you read in Wikipedia.

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Samuel M. Goldwasser" wrote in message
PeterD writes:

[...]

Hey all,

Thank you very much for the input, first of all. Secondly, I posted a JPEG
of the starter (labeled "ignitor" on the cannister which holds the PCB and
ciruit I am about to referrence) to ABSE on 2/2/10 at 3:30 PM. There
pictured is the (failing) blue choke I replaced with a larger choke. The
one I took out *looked* like it might be a 60 or 75 uH choke, and I put
first a 100 uH choke in its place, and finally a 130 uH that would just
barely fit into the (plastic) cannister. In testing, the choke did not seem
to generate any heat, and my logic was as follows: if it did cause the
starter (ignitor) to overheat it would bring about the demise of the NTE2419
SIDAC bi-directional thyristor diode immediately to it's side (on the right
in the JPEG) thereby shutting down the circuit. Below the PCB (in the JPEG)
is the ballast, which I did nothing with. Since I was replacing a passive
component with a passive component, I wasn't too worried. Burn-in did not
raise any suspicions (1/4 hour of operation in my workshop). I would send
more photos (and try again to figure out this damn camera) but the light is
currently in use. The experimenting I did with the light only seemed to
show that a lower inductance choke resulted in a more "yellow" illumination,
and a higher inductance gave a "whiter" light. I can bring it down if there
is truly cause for concern, just hate to do so unnecessarilly. And there is
nothing in the diagram referrenced above like the small circuit I was
working on inside the cover of the lamp. Don't know what to think about
that...

Thanks,

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

ca...

PeterD writes:

[...]

PS: Burn in was a 1/2 hour operation in my workshot, not 1/4 hour, as
written above. My bad. Sorry.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dave" writes:

ca...

PeterD writes:

[...]

Sorry, where did you post the JPEG of your circuit?

Changing anything in the starter shouldn't affect how the lamp runs.

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Samuel M. Goldwasser" wrote in message
"Dave" writes:

ca...

wrote:

[...]

I posted it to alt.binaries.schematics.electronics on 2/2/10 at 3:30 PM. It
was the best picture I could get out of my camera, but is still quite
blurry/out-of-focus.

Thanks,

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 19:40:59 -0600, "Dave" wrote:
[...]

Dave, can you post the fixture's name and model information? Or a link
to a reseller selling the same basic unit that one might be able to
research the circuitry?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 09:58:45 -0600, "
wrote:

I posted it to alt.binaries.schematics.electronics on 2/2/10 at 3:30 PM. It
was the best picture I could get out of my camera, but is still quite
blurry/out-of-focus.

Thanks,

Dave

Can you post it to a photos web site? Althought the binaries groups
are supposed to have binaries (hence the name!) many times not all
mirrors and downstream servers carry the binary posts.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

" writes:

"Samuel M. Goldwasser" wrote in message
"Dave" writes:

ca...

wrote:

[...]

My newsreader doesn't get alt.binaries.schematics.electronics and Google
Groups has almost no postings for that group.

Maybe upload to YouTube or one of the other public photo-hosting Websites?

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"PeterD" wrote in message
[...]

I'll see what I can do. From memory is a Regent 70W HPS Security light.
Home Depot carries them. Has a brown "cap" and faceted canopy around the
bulb, thus to spread the light without harsh shadows. Looking for the link
to this product, but can't find it yet. Will keep trying...

Thanks,

Dave