paradigm subwoofer buzzing looking for advice.

Old January 18th 09, 06:33 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default paradigm subwoofer buzzing looking for advice.

Hi all! I have a paradigm subwoofer 10 inch can give you the model if
you need it that has a hum/buzz emanating from the controller board
that I am about to open and attempt to repair.No I won't do anything
crazy with it.
I was wondering if anyone had any advice or things to look for that
might be the problem for when I finally do rip it apart.
The buzz is definitely coming from the board, and not the speaker, and
is fairly minor in nature, as I didn't notice it until I was
manhandling it into a new location.
It is a similar buzz as to what you get with a badly grounded turn
table.
If you need any more info or have any questions please ask, and I will
do my best to answer.
thanks for your time.
kallita
If you really want to talk to me - just eat the spam
Old January 19th 09, 01:59 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

"james moffat" wrote in message

Hi all! I have a paradigm subwoofer 10 inch can give you the model if
you need it that has a hum/buzz emanating from the controller board
that I am about to open and attempt to repair.No I won't do anything
crazy with it.
I was wondering if anyone had any advice or things to look for that
might be the problem for when I finally do rip it apart.
The buzz is definitely coming from the board, and not the speaker, and
is fairly minor in nature, as I didn't notice it until I was
manhandling it into a new location.
It is a similar buzz as to what you get with a badly grounded turn
table.
If you need any more info or have any questions please ask, and I will
do my best to answer.
thanks for your time.
kallita
If you really want to talk to me - just eat the spam

Are you saying that it is a sound coming from a component physically
vibrating, rather than an electronic buzz being reproduced from the speaker
? And that otherwise it all works ok ? I think that's what you're trying to
get across. If so, and it's a pretty constant sound, chances are it's a
wound component. Assuming that it uses a conventional linear supply, then it
will most likely be the line power (mains) transformer itself. Can often be
cured simply by tightening the mounting screws. Otherwise, it's a case of
stopping the laminations being able to vibrate. Various methods can be used
for that, including superglue, varnish, hot melt glue, silicone rubber etc.

Arfa