Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default pioneer laser disc player inoperative

pioneer CLD-D702
the front panel display works.the tray drawer opens and closes,loads a
cd/laserdisc but the disc never spins.
w/o any disc i can clearly see the laser assy hunting,trying to focus
and a dim
laser light.
acccess to the power supply and boards are difficult so my question
is where can i get advice/tute needed to narrow down the steps needed
to locate the source of my problem.
even test points to check the power supply board would be helpfull
barry a retired tech.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"71chevyvan" wrote in message
pioneer CLD-D702
the front panel display works.the tray drawer opens and
closes,loads a
cd/laserdisc but the disc never spins.
w/o any disc i can clearly see the laser assy
hunting,trying to focus
and a dim
laser light.
acccess to the power supply and boards are difficult so my
question
is where can i get advice/tute needed to narrow down the
steps needed
to locate the source of my problem.
even test points to check the power supply board would be
helpfull
barry a retired tech.

I would first check the spindle motor. Try giving the disk a
spin manually and see if it runs.

David

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I don't remember if this is the same model, but one of the early players
with a laser diode had a problem with the switch that determined whether an
LV or CD was inserted. If you played a CD, the unit would then refuse to
play an LV, until you took off the cover and manually reset the mechanism
(flipped the tray).

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

71chevyvan wrote:
pioneer CLD-D702
the front panel display works.the tray drawer opens and closes,loads a
cd/laserdisc but the disc never spins.
w/o any disc i can clearly see the laser assy hunting,trying to focus
and a dim
laser light.
acccess to the power supply and boards are difficult so my question
is where can i get advice/tute needed to narrow down the steps needed
to locate the source of my problem.
even test points to check the power supply board would be helpfull
barry a retired tech.

Try cleaning the laser lens. Many (most?) CD/DVD players won't spin up
unless they get an initial reflection from the disk.

jak
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

jakdedert wrote:
71chevyvan wrote:
pioneer CLD-D702
the front panel display works.the tray drawer opens and closes,loads a
cd/laserdisc but the disc never spins.
w/o any disc i can clearly see the laser assy hunting,trying to focus
and a dim
laser light.
acccess to the power supply and boards are difficult so my question
is where can i get advice/tute needed to narrow down the steps needed
to locate the source of my problem.
even test points to check the power supply board would be helpfull
barry a retired tech.

Try cleaning the laser lens. Many (most?) CD/DVD players won't spin up
unless they get an initial reflection from the disk.

jak

tried cleaning with no results. however the laser does glow
while searching for focus etc.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I would first check the spindle motor. Try giving the disk a
spin manually and see if it runs.

David

nope.tried that when i tested to see if motor froze up.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:
I don't remember if this is the same model, but one of the early players
with a laser diode had a problem with the switch that determined whether an
LV or CD was inserted. If you played a CD, the unit would then refuse to
play an LV, until you took off the cover and manually reset the mechanism
(flipped the tray).

good thought.
i believe i am on side #1. w/a laser disc installed pressing button
for side#2 lights the indicator but nothing happens mechanically. both
lights remain lit.
i wonder which screws i need to remove to seperate the mechanical
assembly from the top of the boards.
thats because there's no removeable bottom plate under the boards for
me to take voltage readings.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I don't remember if this is the same model, but one of the early players
with a laser diode had a problem with the switch that determined whether

an
LV or CD was inserted. If you played a CD, the unit would then refuse to
play an LV, until you took off the cover and manually reset the

mechanism
(flipped the tray).

good thought.
i believe i am on side #1. w/a laser disc installed pressing button
for side#2 lights the indicator but nothing happens mechanically. both
lights remain lit.
i wonder which screws i need to remove to seperate the mechanical
assembly from the top of the boards.
thats because there's no removeable bottom plate under the boards for
me to take voltage readings.

For what I suggest, you need only remove the top cover.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

71chevyvan writes:

jakdedert wrote:
71chevyvan wrote:
pioneer CLD-D702
the front panel display works.the tray drawer opens and closes,loads a
cd/laserdisc but the disc never spins.
w/o any disc i can clearly see the laser assy hunting,trying to focus
and a dim
laser light.
acccess to the power supply and boards are difficult so my question
is where can i get advice/tute needed to narrow down the steps needed
to locate the source of my problem.
even test points to check the power supply board would be helpfull
barry a retired tech.

Try cleaning the laser lens. Many (most?) CD/DVD players won't spin up
unless they get an initial reflection from the disk.

jak

tried cleaning with no results. however the laser does glow
while searching for focus etc.

Does it actually achieve focus lock? I.e., the lens should pop up once
and stay fixed, not repeatedly move up and down trying to find focus.

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/