Static Sound in Radio Volume Control

Old December 25th 08, 12:53 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Static Sound in Radio Volume Control

Over time, the volume controls of all my clock radios always develop a loud
static sound whenever I adjust the volume. Is there a remedy for this?
--
Thanks,
Michael

Old December 25th 08, 01:24 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael wrote:

Over time, the volume controls of all my clock radios always develop a loud
static sound whenever I adjust the volume. Is there a remedy for this?

A really good control cleaner, or all new pots.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Old December 25th 08, 04:46 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael" wrote in message
Over time, the volume controls of all my clock radios always develop a loud
static sound whenever I adjust the volume. Is there a remedy for this?
--
Thanks,
Michael

Yes, the easiest and most usual solution is to go to your local Radio Shack toy
and cell phone store and get a can of TV-Tuner/Control Cleaner & Lubricant
Catalog #: 64-4315
Open your clock radio so that you can get to the volume control. It will have
an open area next to the terminals that gives you access to the resistance
element and contact inside.Point the spray tube of your tuner cleaner and spray
about ONE (1) second of cleaner into the innards of the control. Exercise the
control through its full range four or five times.
Reassemble your radio. That should fix the scratchy noise.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer it gets to the end, the faster
it goes.

Old December 25th 08, 09:06 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael wrote in message
Over time, the volume controls of all my clock radios always develop a

loud
static sound whenever I adjust the volume. Is there a remedy for this?
--
Thanks,
Michael

Desolder the pot or sometimes enough access to to
do the following without desoldering
Mark with felt tip
the relative positions of the sub parts, bend out
the retaining flaps of the casing metal with a small
screwdriver.
Dismantle the pot down to the carbon track clean/degrease.
Where the track is not too bad , just worn in arcs.
Bend, out or in whichever shows most fresh track, the wiper
blade/blades to use a different
part of track. If the wiper support can be wedged
away from the track then bend the wiper to give more
contact force. If the rivets have slackened on the
paxolin then squash with an old pair of basic red/blue/yellow single
action crimp pliers. To get to the wiper rivet
grind down the the interfering bulges a bit between the
red and blue sections.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Old December 25th 08, 11:12 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

In message , N_Cook
writes
Michael wrote in message
[...]

All this for a clock radio???
--
Ian
Old December 25th 08, 11:27 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

The OP says "all my clock radios". That's odd. I've never had /all/ the pots
in the equipment I've owned become scratchy.

Obviously, cleaning the pot should fix the problem. But I suspect the OP
lives in a dusty/dirty environment, or is a heavy smoker.

Old December 26th 08, 05:21 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 24, 7:53*pm, "Michael" wrote:
Over time, the volume controls of all my clock radios always develop a loud
static sound whenever I adjust the volume. Is there a remedy for this?
--
Thanks,
Michael

beside control cleaner, basically, it's a good idea to turn every
control through the whole range of movement and switch every switch
on and off on every piece of equipment you own that doesn't have the
newfangled rubber key type things, every week or two. keeps them from
getting spotty contact with dust, gunk from the air, particles from
wear, etc. over the years, wipers on pots, switches, relays, etc. have
evolved to do this pretty well.

given that clock radios don't have the volume adjusted a large amount,
they don't get this treatment the way older type equipment where the
volume was turned down to zero to switch the thing off did.

the other thing that happens, however, is that there gets to be extra
wear in the small area of a control which is actually used and as a
result contact is spotty; no cure for that.
Old January 2nd 09, 07:00 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 11:27:39 -0000, William Sommerwerck wrote:

The OP says "all my clock radios". That's odd. I've never had /all/ the pots
in the equipment I've owned become scratchy.

Obviously, cleaning the pot should fix the problem. But I suspect the OP
lives in a dusty/dirty environment, or is a heavy smoker.

No, it happens to mine too. Clock radios are usually made VERY cheaply.

Do infants have as much fun in their infancy as adults do in adultery?

radio static zirath Electronics Repair 5 September 30th 08 02:53 PM
Static caused by volume knob in speaker set [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 May 27th 07 02:31 PM
GFCI & radio static Jim Elbrecht Home Repair 2 January 1st 05 04:10 PM
Continued: Static on amp, not volume related Dean Electronics Repair 1 December 17th 04 04:51 PM
Static on amplifier, not volume related Dean Electronics Repair 4 December 16th 04 02:12 AM