Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Hitachi CT-7897BC brightness problem

I have a Hitachi CT-7897BC which has a really dark picture. the menu
doesn't seem to have settings for brightness, unless their hidden
lower in the menu, which I cannot access because my universal remote
doesn't simulate the + and - buttons from the original remote(which I
don't have).
I've tried tweaking some of the adjusters inside. one seems to be
focus, which makes it blurry or more clear depending on how you turn
it, another seems to just make the picture more green.
there are also several near the picture tube which are labeled as R-
BKG G-BKG and B-BKG, and then two more which are R-Drive and B-Drive.
it seems obvious enough what the rgb ones are, but nothing seems to
make it brighter and darker. I've even tried simply turning up(and
down) the rgb ones all together, hoping it would work like a computer.
doesnt seem to.
I know a novice shouldn't be poking around in a tv because their
dangerous. but I've gotten other tv's to become brighter by playing
with some of the adjustments before. I've never had a hitachi, this
one was given to me. can anyone give me any advice? other than taking
it to a repair shop, because I simply can't afford that right now.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 29, 3:37*pm, kronflux wrote:
[...]

try turn your color off and adjust your picture with the green red and
blue controls get the best black and white picture and the turn up the
screen on the flyback see how that works,
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

try turn your color off and adjust your picture with the green red and
blue controls get the best black and white picture and the turn up the
screen on the flyback see how that works,

tried that. seemed to help a little, but not noticably. I don't know
much about tv's, but it seems like the flyback isn't doing its job.
as I said..you adjust the bottom one, and the picture simply gets
greener, or adjust the top one and it gets blurry.
I've even tried everything at maximum. sounded like there was sparking
or something going on when the bottom flyback adjustment was turned up
all the way.. I dunno.. only sounded like it. didnt see anything.
even with everything at maximum the picture isn't brighter at all.
any ideas?