CRT coolant inside projection TV hazardous?

Old September 25th 08, 09:15 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default CRT coolant inside projection TV hazardous?

I'm taking apart an old rear projection TV to get rid of it piece-wise.

There are some clear, odorless, liquid CRT coolant sealed on top of each
CRT. I accidentally spilled some inside the cabinet. What is the proper way
to dispose of these liquid?

According to one web site, it contains ethylene glycol and glycerine. Should
I mix it with with my car's old coolant and recycle it?

Old November 17th 08, 12:36 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sep 25, 3:15*pm, "james" wrote:
I'm taking apart an old rear projection TV to get rid of it piece-wise.

There are some clear, odorless, liquid CRT coolant sealed on top of each
CRT. I accidentally spilled some inside the cabinet. What is the proper way
to dispose of these liquid?

According to one web site, it contains ethylene glycol and glycerine. Should
I mix it with with my car's old coolant and recycle it?

Dear James,

has any one given you right solution how to dispose of ethylene
glycole properly? I am also in search of proper recycling solution.

Please share me with the information if you had to
. thank you.
Old November 17th 08, 01:50 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
On Sep 25, 3:15 pm, "james" wrote:
I'm taking apart an old rear projection TV to get rid of it piece-wise.

There are some clear, odorless, liquid CRT coolant sealed on top of each
CRT. I accidentally spilled some inside the cabinet. What is the proper
way
to dispose of these liquid?

According to one web site, it contains ethylene glycol and glycerine.
Should
I mix it with with my car's old coolant and recycle it?

Dear James,

has any one given you right solution how to dispose of ethylene
glycole properly? I am also in search of proper recycling solution.

Please share me with the information if you had to
. thank you.

The proper recycling method depends on your location. Different government
agencies require different disposal. From a practical viewpoint, you can
safely dispose of it in any sanitary sewer system and it will be broken down
completely within days by the bacteria in the system. You could pour it on
the ground and the same thing would occur and other than the risk of
ingestion by animals it would cause no problems.

Leonard