Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default Board level TV repair

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 13:53:48 -0400, "Bishoop" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

I have an Advent TV that has the RF input connector broken off. I removed
the back to see what I could do to make repairs.

The RF connector is an integral part some "module" that is soldered to a PC
board.

Anyone have any ideas on where to find board level components so I can make
the repair myself. I'm just not willing to put out 100 bux for the whole
circuit board.

Thanks....

If this module is a large rectangular metal can, then you are looking
at a tuner. These can be purchased as complete modules, or as
refurbished exchange units, or you can repair the existing tuner by
removing the broken connector and adapting and soldering a replacement
connector to the tuner housing.

IIRC, I used to use this type of adapter and cut the bottom end off:
http://www.futurlec.com/Pictures/AV023.jpg

You will have to solder a short wire between the centre pin and the
tuner PCB. Before soldering the connector to the can, you should
roughen up the contact areas with sandpaper.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
news
[...]

As I indicated in an earlier reply post to this thread I was able to
initiate a repair and the TV is working through the RF connector just like
brand new.

Thanks to all that replied with helpful tips.