Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default JVC tube TV with shrinking picture; worth fixing?

Hello,
We have an elderly JVC 27-inch tube-type television, Model AV-27BMS (I
think). It's been a good TV for 13 years now (manufacturing date is January
1995). In the last few months, however, it has developed an annoying
problem. The picture periodically shrinks down horizontally (that is, the
screen turns dark above and below, and what's left is a thin, squished-down
picture perhaps three or four inches tall).

If someone bangs lightly on the side of the TV the picture returns to
normal--for a while. But the problem doesn't go away and it actually has
gotten worse.

Any ideas of what would cause this, and just as important, is this a problem
that likely can be fixed for significantly less than the price of replacing
the television? Bringing this heavy sucker to a repair shop would be no
pleasure, but if the problem seems manageable, by gosh I'll do it.

Doug in Berkeley

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Doug Greenberg wrote:
[...]

You've got a bad solder joint in the vertical deflection section. It's a
10 minute fix for someone who knows how to solder. No parts required.

Don't run it like that, you'll burn the phosphor on the face of the tube.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 05:24:22 GMT, James Sweet
wrote:

Doug Greenberg wrote:
[...]

Resolder all the pins on the vertical ic and it should work fine.
Very common problem on this set. Chuck
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Doug Greenberg wrote:
[...]

I have a similar 27" JVC TV, model AV-27770. It had the exact same
symptoms, including banging on it for a temporary "fix". The problem was
a bad solder joint on the CRT socket's PC board.

Look at all the PC boards with a magnifying glass for joints that have a
cracked "ring" around the connection. This happens from heat & age, and
seems to be fairly common on items like this.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sofa Slug wrote:
Doug Greenberg wrote:
[...]

No way a solder joint on the CRT socket board affected vertical
deflection, nothing in the deflection circuit routes through that board.
The mechanical stresses of taking the set apart and putting it back
together may have "fixed" the bad joint in the deflection though.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On 10 jun, 04:25, "Doug Greenberg" wrote:

Any ideas of what would cause this, and just as important, is this a problem
that likely can be fixed for significantly less than the price of replacing
the television? Bringing this heavy sucker to a repair shop would be no
pleasure, but if the problem seems manageable, by gosh I'll do it.

Doug in Berkeley

Agree wholeheartedly with the others - this is fixable and could be
saved from the landfill. if you're not up to soldering, I'm sure
someone could help you out in your area. Good luck!

-B

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The set is fixed! Local repair guy came over and fixed it on the spot.
$125 plus a nominal charge for the house call. Sorry I don't have the
wherewithall to do it myself, particularly where there is bigtime electrical
voltage involved. Well worth the price to us; as others have said, it's
better than clogging up the landfill and using more resources on a new one.
And it's been a very good tv, in any case.

Thanks for all input.
DG