Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Viewsonic N3260w with bad power supply board

Anyone know whether these are notorious for failure within the first couple
years? I've ordered a new one, and it's on the way, but I am wondering
whether or not to expect it to fail as well after another year or so. Seems
to be configured for two circuits providing voltages to the main circuit
board, with both being driven by the third, primary circuit. Both of the
secondary circuits had several swollen caps, and the primary circuit blew a
cap, which was the chief complaint and cause of total failure of the power
supply. Noticed Viewsonic had several other PCBs which would have been
compatible with the N3260w, as well as other devices, but they were out of
stock. Only the B-00005305, which was the original PS PCB for the 3260W,
was still in stock. I half-way suspect that the original PS PCB was
designed with too tight margins for what it could do and what it was being
asked to do, and ultimately failed as the result of this. Only thing I can
think of likely to cause such systemic signs of stress as I observed in the
dead PCB. Just wondering if anyone else has experience with this device
they would care to share. Oh, first three characters of the serial number
of the 3260w were PVA, if that matters.

Thanks,

Dave