Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Philips 27PT543S television shuts down after 5 seconds.

This Philips 27PT543S turns off after a few seconds. The sound and picture
work fine and then the power shuts down. I don't have a schematic for this
set so I decided to resolder some questionable connections to see if that
would help. It didn't. I then suggested that my client take it to a servicer
that works on Philips products thinking they would have better access to
their technical support. So he picked it up took it to another shop and for
a $40 estimate fee, they reported back to him that the CRT was weak and
needed replacement. I tested the CRT and it has very good emission. The
question now is why is this shutting down? I can't imagine a CRT that tests
good on my B&K 467 analyzer is causing the set to go into shutdown. Has
anyone come across this problem?

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"David Farber" wrote in message
This Philips 27PT543S turns off after a few seconds. The sound and picture
work fine and then the power shuts down. I don't have a schematic for this
set so I decided to resolder some questionable connections to see if that
would help. It didn't. I then suggested that my client take it to a
servicer
that works on Philips products thinking they would have better access to
their technical support. So he picked it up took it to another shop and
for
a $40 estimate fee, they reported back to him that the CRT was weak and
needed replacement. I tested the CRT and it has very good emission. The
question now is why is this shutting down? I can't imagine a CRT that
tests

Of course it is not the CRT!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

It MAY need a horizontal drive kit. Not sure if your model is the
same, but it's common. Just unplug the CRT socket, just to see if the
TV will stay on. Also, look for discolored surface mount parts in the
horizontal drive section. Dani.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dani" wrote in message
It MAY need a horizontal drive kit. Not sure if your model is the
same, but it's common. Just unplug the CRT socket, just to see if the
TV will stay on. Also, look for discolored surface mount parts in the
horizontal drive section. Dani.

I think I did try removing the CRT socket and it still shut down. What is
included in the horizontal drive kit?

Thanks for your reply.