Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default HP/Pavilion Monitor schematic?

I have an older HP Pavilion desktop (Model 9600) with an HP monitor
(Model D7480A) that I really like. HP also refers to this as an S70
monitor. The monitor's power supply just went bad, and with some time
on my hands, I wanted to take a shot at fixing it. Anyone know where
you can get a schematic for such a thing? "HP" seems to be the wrong
answer...

Note that I can't receive e-mail at the moment, so followups on this
newsgroup, please.

Thanks for any pointers.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dave Shaw" wrote in message
I have an older HP Pavilion desktop (Model 9600) with an HP monitor
(Model D7480A) that I really like. HP also refers to this as an S70
monitor. The monitor's power supply just went bad, and with some time
on my hands, I wanted to take a shot at fixing it. Anyone know where
you can get a schematic for such a thing? "HP" seems to be the wrong
answer...

Note that I can't receive e-mail at the moment, so followups on this
newsgroup, please.

Schematics for monitors are very rare. I don't think I've ever had one, most
of the problems though are not too hard to fix without one. Check for
shorted semis in the power supply and horizontal scan section. Also look for
bad electrolytic capacitors in the same areas.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 21, 10:18*am, (Dave Shaw) wrote:
I have an older HP Pavilion desktop (Model 9600) with an HP monitor
(Model D7480A) that I really like. HP also refers to this as an S70
monitor. The monitor's power supply just went bad

Well, check the fuses first.

A common feature of monitors is 'protection' which shuts
down the power supply for any of a dozen reasons, which means
a short almost ANYWHERE will shut the power off. It doesn't
have to be in the power supply. So, best practice is to
examine components that handle high power (which makes
them high-failure-rate suspects), like capacitors (look for
bulges or leaking from electrolytics), power resistors (the
crispy black one? -it wants to be changed), and power
semiconductors (heatsinked transistors and diodes).
Wiring can also fail, look especially at connectors
and heavy components for cracked solder joints.

While HP may not have schematics available, you may be able
to identify the controlling chips and look at the manufacturer
data on them; a common practice is to build exactly the
circuit that is Phillips/Samsung/National/SGS recommended
application for that integrated circuit.