Broken antenna on RC car

Old December 14th 07, 01:08 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Broken antenna on RC car

I have a 14 y/o RC car that has a broken antenna on the remote. Is
there a way to fix that? The car won't work without it. The antenna is
like the ones that are on boomboxes. There was a small piece of metal
that kept it attached to the remote and the piece broke off.

I tried attaching wire to the remote and the car barely worked. Is
there a specific kind of wire I need?

I could probably buy a better car than this one but I don't like
throwing things away if they can be fixed, unless it costs too much to
fix it.
Old December 14th 07, 01:12 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

RadioShack has a replacement antenna, though it's not clear whether it will
fit.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

You might also search local hobby shops.

And I must ask the obvious... HAVE YOU CONTACTED THE MANUFACTURER?

Old December 16th 07, 12:07 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

"JANA" wrote in message

Antennas are tuned. Go to where you bought your
remote car and see if they can supply an original part.

Forgive me, but I find a lot of your postings misleading or non-factual.

Antennas are not, generally, "tuned". If tuning is required, it's usually
performed with a loading coil in the body of the transmitter. The only
consumer product I've ever seen with a loading coil in the antenna itself
was a Concord CB transceiver of 40 years ago. (The intent was to improve
radiation by moving the coild to the middle of the antenna.)

If the antenna is the correct length, it will radiate efficiently. You don't
need an OEM antenna.

Old December 16th 07, 06:46 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:
"JANA" wrote in message

Antennas are tuned. Go to where you bought your
remote car and see if they can supply an original part.

Forgive me, but I find a lot of your postings misleading or non-factual.

Antennas are not, generally, "tuned". If tuning is required, it's usually
performed with a loading coil in the body of the transmitter. The only
consumer product I've ever seen with a loading coil in the antenna itself
was a Concord CB transceiver of 40 years ago. (The intent was to improve
radiation by moving the coild to the middle of the antenna.)

If the antenna is the correct length, it will radiate efficiently. You don't
need an OEM antenna.

You both are 'sort of' right, it would seem to me. Of course there are
inductors in consumer electronics. Whether you call them loading coils
or something else, in every transmitter I've encountered, there was an
inductor in the signal output path which tuned the original length of
antenna to approximate the expected load of the antenna.

That said, getting the correct length antenna (or a longer telescoping
one, but not fully extending it) is a pretty trivial matter...as long as
that length can be determined.

jak
Old December 16th 07, 06:59 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

jakdedert wrote:

William Sommerwerck wrote:

"JANA" wrote in message

[...]

Ah, Just cut up a hanger and stick it in there! ))

--
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

"Daily Thought:

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT
THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"

Old December 16th 07, 10:15 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jamie" t wrote in message
jakdedert wrote:

William Sommerwerck wrote:

"JANA" wrote in message

[...]

Well if it is in the 44mhz range like most cheap rc stuff is pretty much
anything attached to it will recieve a signal sufficient to make it work.
Sure length will make a difference in how well it works, but you may be able
to get close enough by guessing.

Old December 17th 07, 12:48 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

If it's in the 47 MHz range like most cheap R/C stuff is,
pretty much anything attached to it will recieve [sic] a
signal sufficient to make it work. Sure, length will make
a difference in how well it works, but you may be able
to get close enough by guessing.

And inasmuch as the OP has the original antenna, there's no guessing about
the "correct" length.

In short, you don't need the "original" antenna.

Old December 17th 07, 05:17 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jamie wrote:

Ah, Just cut up a hanger and stick it in there! ))

Why don't you 'Stick it', Jamie? You aren't the least bit funny, and
a cut off hanger stuck into the remote could cause a severe injury, or
death.

Piano wire, with a closed loop on the end makes a nice antenna,
becasue it won't catch on anything, and is springy enough to resist
damage.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old December 17th 07, 02:18 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
Jamie wrote:

Ah, Just cut up a hanger and stick it in there! ))

Why don't you 'Stick it', Jamie? You aren't the least bit funny, and
a cut off hanger stuck into the remote could cause a severe injury, or
death.

Piano wire, with a closed loop on the end makes a nice antenna,
becasue it won't catch on anything, and is springy enough to resist
damage.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Though a Hanger "could" work in a pinch, I agree with Michael. Most of those
RC type antennas are a thin metal which has some play to it. The regular RC
antennas are thinner and thus "lighter" than a "Hanger". It would not drag
the RC down - where a "Hanger" might. Depending on the size of the RC unit,
the "hanger" could make it top heavy! If the RC goes under an item, the
hanger - if not budging "could" cause internal damage when the shock hits
the base. The "RC type" would tend to give and perhaps - "no" damage. I
don't deal with RC stuff enough to get into all "suppliers" but it seems
someone should sell the antennas - maybe a hobby shop. OR get some wire like
Michael suggested and use it - some of the "home remodeling" type stores
seem to sell a variety of wire gauges. Surely there is some out there
somewhere for you to find. Go to a flea market or Hamfest - you may find
some "junk" stuff there from which to pull an antenna from. I see that kind
of stuff all the time.