Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Aiming Satellite Dish

My neighbor just removed a giant tree, so I think I can now get a dish. A
few years ago, I remember that there was a website in which you put your
lat/long (or zip code), and it would tell you the date and time and which
the sun would be in the same spot as the satellite, for aiming purposes.

Does anyone know if this website still exists? I searched high and low and
can't find it. Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Good afternoon.
This website has several different calculators depending on what you need.
http://www.satellite-calculations.com/

Lee Richardson
Mech-Tech
4DTV, QualiTV, DVB-MPEG free to air satellite dealer
Evansville, Indiana

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
My neighbor just removed a giant tree, so I think I can now get a dish. A
few years ago, I remember that there was a website in which you put your
lat/long (or zip code), and it would tell you the date and time and which
the sun would be in the same spot as the satellite, for aiming purposes.

Does anyone know if this website still exists? I searched high and low
and can't find it. Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Buck Turgidson wrote:

My neighbor just removed a giant tree, so I think I can now get a dish. A
few years ago, I remember that there was a website in which you put your
lat/long (or zip code), and it would tell you the date and time and which
the sun would be in the same spot as the satellite, for aiming purposes.

Which satellite?

The Clarke Belt and the sun line up twice per year (in March and October.)
But what time of day the sun is in line with any particular satellite depends
on the satellite.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Buck Turgidson wrote:
My neighbor just removed a giant tree, so I think I can now get a dish. A
few years ago, I remember that there was a website in which you put your
lat/long (or zip code), and it would tell you the date and time and which
the sun would be in the same spot as the satellite, for aiming purposes.

Does anyone know if this website still exists? I searched high and low and
can't find it. Thanks.

Go to USNO and find link to Altitude and Azimuth of the Sun and Moon
USNO = United States Naval Observatory. About 3/4 of a page down on the
Home Page

I use this Site regularly , last time I used it and Google Earth to
calculate the height of a local Cell Tower, Used Google Earth "RULER" to
measure distance from tower, to where I stood when the sun was shining
through the top of the tower, noted the time of day and found the
altitude angle of the sun and multiplied the distance from the Tower
with the TAN of the Sun Angle.

When I was Camping this Summer I used the Azimuth of the Sun to locate
my satellite Dish to point through an opening between trees at 12:10
Local Time. So I am quite familiar with your situation.

Only problem to note!! If your dish is mounted "Too Low" signal
reflections from the ground can cause mysterious NULLS in the Signal.

I know I had the "Right" Azimuth, so moving the Dish UP solved the Problem.

Yukio YANO
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Yukio YANO wrote:
Buck Turgidson wrote:
[...]

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Buck Turgidson wrote:
My neighbor just removed a giant tree, so I think I can now get a dish. A
few years ago, I remember that there was a website in which you put your
lat/long (or zip code), and it would tell you the date and time and which
the sun would be in the same spot as the satellite, for aiming purposes.

Before you go to a lot of trouble check out what you want to receive.

If you ae buying a commerical package, they will gladly come and check
out exactly where the dish has to go, the size and type etc.

If you want your own dish, go to the LyngSat pages and determine which
satellites carry the programs you want and then you can nose around to
find how to aim the dish.

IMHO you have to price the equipment carefully, the local DBS provider
here in Israel (YES) had a free installation deal. The break even point
was about 9 months per receiver with a single dish/feedhorn. Since I wanted
three receivers, it was not worth buying my own dish.

Since the programs I wanted to view were spread out over several
sattelites, I would have had to buy multiple feed horns and possibly a
wide angle dish, with the appropriate switching arrangment at each
receiver, which quickly increased the cost.

In my case a movable dish to change satellites was not an option, my children
would not stand for me moving the dish. :-)

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/

Sony satellite dish - any use for it? Bruce Home Repair 8 January 15th 15 02:34 AM
Satellite dish - silicone? Harry K Home Repair 13 February 5th 06 07:04 AM
satellite dish JAT Electronics Repair 3 August 24th 05 12:55 AM
Looking for an affordable Satellite Dish??? jer Home Ownership 1 January 22nd 05 01:11 AM
Siting a satellite dish using satellite eclipse with the sun Roger UK diy 8 October 15th 04 01:46 AM