Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Samsung Rear Proj HDTV exploded

Hi, ive got a Samsung 47" widescreen rear projection HDTV. Its worked
great for 5 years and is off warranty. Last weekend it made a very
loud pop noise and died. The power lite will come on if its plugged in
but it will not turn on. No activity whatsoever. I asked around and
was told the LCD cannon probably blew, but then I found it is NOT LCD,
it has 3 CRTs. I opened it up and looked and didnt see any thing with
burn marks and there was no burning smell after it died.

I was told the power supply will also make a pop sound when it dies.
Could that be the only problem? Might it have damaged other parts when
it died. Just gotta figure out if its worth fixing and if I can do it
myself. Im a computer tech so I can work with components up to a
certain point.

Thanks,

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
AJ AJ is offline

At Least post the Complete Model Number of the product so we at least have a
chance to id it and then render relevant answers. At this point it may be
best to off it to the nearest repair or recycle facility.
"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 07:23:40 -0700, faust_151 wrote:

Hi, ive got a Samsung 47" widescreen rear projection HDTV. Its worked
great for 5 years and is off warranty. Last weekend it made a very
loud pop noise and died. The power lite will come on if its plugged in
but it will not turn on. No activity whatsoever. I asked around and
was told the LCD cannon probably blew, but then I found it is NOT LCD,
it has 3 CRTs. I opened it up and looked and didnt see any thing with
burn marks and there was no burning smell after it died.

I was told the power supply will also make a pop sound when it dies.
Could that be the only problem? Might it have damaged other parts when
it died. Just gotta figure out if its worth fixing and if I can do it
myself. Im a computer tech so I can work with components up to a
certain point.

You can't fix it yourself. Is it worth fixing? Get an estimate. Repairs on
rear projection sets are at the very least $200 + service call.