Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ll ll is offline

Default reading schematic - power source

I have a schematic showing connections from a transformer to a circuit
board. Each connection reads: "12.6VAC" followed by the connection id
(in this case "TP7" and TP8"). My question is: would the transformer
in this situation be called a 12.6VAC transformer, or would these
voltage markings on the schematic indicate the voltage for each
lead?

This came up recently when I was looking for a replacement trans
online, and the transformer, rated at 12.6VAC had markings on its
underside that said "6.3V, 0V, 6.3V".

Thanks for any leads,
Louis

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article .com,
ll wrote:
I have a schematic showing connections from a transformer to a circuit
board. Each connection reads: "12.6VAC" followed by the connection id
(in this case "TP7" and TP8"). My question is: would the transformer
in this situation be called a 12.6VAC transformer, or would these
voltage markings on the schematic indicate the voltage for each
lead?

This came up recently when I was looking for a replacement trans
online, and the transformer, rated at 12.6VAC had markings on its
underside that said "6.3V, 0V, 6.3V".

If the transformer is centre tapped and that connected I'd expect it to be
12.6v per winding. Usually to provide a symmetrical power supply.

It's common these days to have two separate windings on replacement type
or general purpose transformers. That gives the maximum flexibility of
connection.

--
Small asylum seeker wanted as mud flap, must be flexible and willing to travel

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ll ll is offline

On Jun 22, 1:37 pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article .com,
ll wrote:

[...]

Thanks Dave,
Do you think that the transformer with the markings may have indeed
been a 6.3V one?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"ll" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a schematic showing connections from a transformer to a circuit
board. Each connection reads: "12.6VAC" followed by the connection id
(in this case "TP7" and TP8"). My question is: would the transformer
in this situation be called a 12.6VAC transformer, or would these
voltage markings on the schematic indicate the voltage for each
lead?

This came up recently when I was looking for a replacement trans
online, and the transformer, rated at 12.6VAC had markings on its
underside that said "6.3V, 0V, 6.3V".

Thanks for any leads,
Louis

Are you saying that the original transformer has those markings (6.3V, 0V,
6.3V)? If so, then it's a 12.6V center tapped transformer. That is, there are
6.3V on either side of the center tap, for a total of 12.6V.
If your schematic doesn't show a 0V terminal (which would be the connection for
the center tap), then it just needs a transformer with a single 12.6V secondary.
Your replacement transformer will work just fine; just don't connect the center
tap terminal (0V) to anything.
All the above presupposes that the current rating of the replacement transformer
is sufficient for the application. If the replacement transformer and the
original are very close to the same size and weight, then it's likely that it
will work nicely.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

"In theory, there isn't any difference between theory and practice. In
practice, there is." - Yogi Berra

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ll ll is offline

On Jun 22, 5:19 pm, "DaveM" wrote:
"ll" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Dave,
Many thanks for your input and help in this.
Louis