Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Lin Lin is offline

Default Wireless Speakers: RCA Speakers Only Work when on Same Electrical Outlet as Transmitter / What is Problem?

I have wireless speakers (RCA Model RC-070 with Power Line
Transmitter) that ONLY work when the POWER CORD FOR THE SPEAKERS is
plugged into the SAME electrical outlet as the POWER CORD FOR THE
TRANSMITTER.

If the speakers are plugged into an outlet that is different from the
outlet for the transmitter, the speakers do not work. If I plug the
speakers into a power strip that is on the same outlet as the
transmitter, the speakers work. I have tried a variety of electrical
outlets (same outlets for both and different outlets for each) and I
get the same result. I have concluded that, for some reason, the
speakers and transmitter must be plugged into the same electrical
source(outlet). This problem defeats the purpose of the wireless
speakers that I want to put in a different room from the transmitter.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the problem and how I can
correct it?

Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Lin wrote:

[...]

Look at the X-10 line of modules. There is a module to connect
across the two 120 VAC lines to couple the RF to the other line.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Lin Lin is offline

Michael,

Thank you for the quick reply.

I know that it is difficult to put a technical solution in lay
person's terms but it would help me if I understood the terminology.
If you have time, is it possible for you to explain why these speakers/
transmitter have this problem and how your solution will solve the
problem. I am not familiar with electronics so I do not know what is
an "X-10 line of modules" and I do not understand the "120 VAC lines
to couple the RF to the other line."

Again, I appreciate the information.

Lin

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Lin" wrote in message
ups.com...

I have wireless speakers (RCA Model RC-070 with Power Line
Transmitter) that ONLY work when the POWER CORD FOR THE SPEAKERS is
plugged into the SAME electrical outlet as the POWER CORD FOR THE
TRANSMITTER.

Try the top and the bottom outlets in each case. Does the result differ?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 4/19/07 11:10 AM, in article
, "Lin"
wrote:

Michael,

Thank you for the quick reply.

I know that it is difficult to put a technical solution in lay
person's terms but it would help me if I understood the terminology.
If you have time, is it possible for you to explain why these speakers/
transmitter have this problem and how your solution will solve the
problem. I am not familiar with electronics so I do not know what is
an "X-10 line of modules" and I do not understand the "120 VAC lines
to couple the RF to the other line."

Again, I appreciate the information.

Lin

Assuming you are in the US, the power co. delivers three wires to your
house. One of them is a "neutral" aka "ground" wire. Each of the other two
(hot wires) are nominally 117 Volts with reference to the neutral wire, and
the voltage between the two is nominally 234 Volts. About half of the
outlets in your house are wired to one of the hot wires, and half to the
other hot wire.

If you plug the transmitter into an outlet served by hot wire #1, then the
receiver should also be plugged into an outlet served by hot wire #1.

If you plug the transmitter into a #1 outlet, and the receiver into a #2
outlet, the signal must travel all the way out to the power company's
transformer and back. And their transformer may not efficiently couple the
signal between hot wires 1 and 2. This problem is avoided by putting both
units on the same hot line.

Don

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Lin Lin is offline

I tried many, many different combinations, as Homer suggested. After
I tried those combinations, I saw Don's response. Based on all the
combinations, I finally concluded that the "Power Line Transmitter"
AND the speakers must be plugged DIRECTLY INTO ELECTRICAL WALL
OUTLETS.

If I plugged the "Power Line Transmitter" into a POWER STRIP (SURGE
PROTECTOR) and the speaker into a DIFFERENT electrical wall outlet
(not the same wall outlet as the surge protector), the speakers did
NOT work. If the speaker was plugged into the wall outlet that
contained the power strip with transmitter, the speakers worked.

I think I have discovered how to make it work properly, thanks to all
your suggestions. My other wireless speaker system works fine but this
one was problematic. I do have a couple questions that are more out
of curiosity:

1) Was the surge protector related to the problem?
2) Does the "power line transmitter" work differently than other
wireless speaker transmitters? (does one type of transmitter send
radio waves and the other type send the signal through the power
lines?

Thanks to all of you for your assistance. I am a heavy electronics
user but I lack technical knowledge of electronics.

Lin

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Lin wrote:

[...]

Some of the outlet strips have line noise filters to reduce harmonics
on the AC power fed to the outlets on the strip. It also removes any RF
from entering the power line.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Lin" wrote in message
ups.com...

1) Was the surge protector related to the problem?

Possibly but it's unusual. This would imply that you have filtering in the
surge protector which is pretty fancy - most don't.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 05:02:32 GMT, "Homer J Simpson"
wrote:

"Lin" wrote in message
oups.com...

1) Was the surge protector related to the problem?

Possibly but it's unusual. This would imply that you have filtering in the
surge protector which is pretty fancy - most don't.

Sure. If there is filtering, the device is then called a line
conditioner and the price is higher.

Kal

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Lin wrote in news:1177006208.186617.200750
@n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

Michael,

Thank you for the quick reply.

I know that it is difficult to put a technical solution in lay
person's terms but it would help me if I understood the terminology.
If you have time, is it possible for you to explain why these

speakers/
transmitter have this problem and how your solution will solve the
problem. I am not familiar with electronics so I do not know what is
an "X-10 line of modules" and I do not understand the "120 VAC lines
to couple the RF to the other line."

Again, I appreciate the information.

Lin

Simply put, those speakers are sending the audio on the electric wires
in your home, over an RF carrier. X10 controls do the same thing. X10 is
basically light and appliance control system that sensd signals from a
keypad or other controller, over the powerlines, to receiver modules
that control lamps or appliances.

Typical North American homes have their electronic service coming in on
two 120V lines from opposite sides of the utility trasnformer (which
don't carry over the powerline RF, typically), sharing a common neutral.

What could be happening, is the other outlet is on the other 120V supply
leg coming in, than the outlet the transmitter is. A passive X10 bridge
(which is essentially a capacitor that couples the on line RF signals
from one leg to the other) may work. It could also be one outlet is too
far from the other, electically, or there is a filter somewhere blocking
the signal.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tim Tim is offline

In article ,
says...
[...]

You can solve that issue by putting a .1 uf cap across the mains at some
point. If you do not like the idea of working on the 220 live lines, you
can also bridge any 220 volt appliance too. The onlt problem there is
that if the breakers (or fuses) pop, the bridge is out of action. I put
on across my electric stove outlet for instance. It solved the issues I
had with the X-10 system. Make sure you use a 400v or beter cap tho.....

- Tim -
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tim Tim is offline

In article ,
says...
In article ,
says...
[...]

And additionally, check to see if you are using a filtered power bar or
UPS, as they will squash the RF signal quite nicely.

- Tim -

amplified speakers James Sweet Electronics Repair 17 April 11th 07 09:27 PM
Speakers bodger UK diy 38 December 14th 06 02:51 PM
Wooden Speakers Fading Problem Mark & Mel Woodworking 3 May 15th 05 02:41 AM
Refinishing Speakers DMKinPA Woodworking 3 May 1st 05 02:53 PM
wireless speakers for the home Freedom55 Home Repair 7 February 4th 05 06:04 PM