Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What's the deal with Philips/Norelco razor batteries?

My new Phillips razor (8150XL) has a lithium-ion battery. It fully
recharges in 1 hour, but the manual says to charge it 4 hours the
first time it's used.

Could someone please explain why the initial charge takes (at least
supposedly) 4 hours? Especially for a Li-ion battery, this doesn't
make any sense to me.

Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Depending on initial charge state and storage time before sale, the
battery may be low or dead when you buy the razor. The initial 4 hour
charge baselines the battery's full charge state. The razor electronics
probably shut off the motor at a specific loaded voltage, from which the
battery is calculated to recharge in 1 hour.
JR

wrote:

My new Phillips razor (8150XL) has a lithium-ion battery. It fully
recharges in 1 hour, but the manual says to charge it 4 hours the
first time it's used.

Could someone please explain why the initial charge takes (at least
supposedly) 4 hours? Especially for a Li-ion battery, this doesn't
make any sense to me.

Thanks.

Home Page:
http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in
t:

My new Phillips razor (8150XL) has a lithium-ion battery. It fully
recharges in 1 hour, but the manual says to charge it 4 hours the
first time it's used.

Could someone please explain why the initial charge takes (at least
supposedly) 4 hours? Especially for a Li-ion battery, this doesn't
make any sense to me.

Thanks.

battery conditioning.
Also,many Li-ion batteries now use a processor IC to monitor charge state
and control the recharging,and it needs to develop baseline data.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik