Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

Default Removing solder mask from gold fingers - is it possible?

Hello,

We have a problem with one of our circuit board vendors who applied solder
mask to the gold fingers on a lot of 100 boards. Naturally, the 100 boards
were built up and the problem wasn't discovered until test. Does anyone
know of a way to remove it without losing the gold on the fingers?
Solvent or ??

Thanks.
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 11:34:41 -0400, JW wrote:

Hello,

We have a problem with one of our circuit board vendors who applied solder
mask to the gold fingers on a lot of 100 boards. Naturally, the 100 boards
were built up and the problem wasn't discovered until test. Does anyone
know of a way to remove it without losing the gold on the fingers?
Solvent or ??

Thanks.

Try oven cleaner, have had some success with that before.

Peter
--
Peter & Rita Forbes
Email:
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

JW wrote:
We have a problem with one of our circuit board vendors who applied solder
mask to the gold fingers on a lot of 100 boards. Naturally, the 100 boards
were built up and the problem wasn't discovered until test. Does anyone
know of a way to remove it without losing the gold on the fingers?
Solvent or ??

There might be some acid which will eat the tincoat without eating the
gold. If so it's probably nasty stuff.

--
"This, then, is the essence of Gore's complaint:
there are too many humans and they are too well off."
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

"JW" wrote in message
Hello,

We have a problem with one of our circuit board vendors who applied solder
mask to the gold fingers on a lot of 100 boards. Naturally, the 100 boards
were built up and the problem wasn't discovered until test. Does anyone
know of a way to remove it without losing the gold on the fingers?
Solvent or ??

Thanks.

If you mean that green varnish type solder resist, you could try Nitromors
paint stripper otherwise a possibly more difficult to track down solution is
Oxley Developments Resin Dissolver. A company I worked for years ago used
this stuff to dissolve thermosetting bonding mats used to stick ultrasonic
transducers to the bottom of cleaning tanks - you don't want to soak PCBs in
it though, it'll dissolve them as well!

Hold on though - cant the PCB firm tell you what'll shift it?!

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

JW wrote:

Hello,

We have a problem with one of our circuit board vendors who applied solder
mask to the gold fingers on a lot of 100 boards. Naturally, the 100 boards
were built up and the problem wasn't discovered until test. Does anyone
know of a way to remove it without losing the gold on the fingers?
Solvent or ??

Thanks.

What does the board house use to clean its equipment with?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
Roy Roy is offline

JW wrote:

Hello,

We have a problem with one of our circuit board vendors who applied
solder
mask to the gold fingers on a lot of 100 boards. Naturally, the 100
boards
were built up and the problem wasn't discovered until test. Does
anyone
know of a way to remove it without losing the gold on the fingers?
Solvent or ??

Thanks.

If it is the dark green probimer you have a major problem. It is
usually applied and lightly dried in an oven at low temperature. After
exposure to UV it is developed to remove the unwanted resist and then
baked at a high temperature. After the high temperature bake its
bloody difficult to remove. ( I dont know of any solvent that works
without board damage at this point, although I am not saying there is
not one) The only way that I know of would be scraping or bead
blasting which obviously is going to result in some loss of plating.

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

Agreed. The only thing I've seen able to remove solder mask is the
electrolyte from leaking caps, and that destroys the copper. And it
does it from the inside as it is under it, doesn't matter what you
plate it with.

Grind it off, or maybe since it is liable to be quite flat, mill it
off with a milling machine.

JURB

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

JW wrote in
:

Hello,

We have a problem with one of our circuit board vendors who applied
solder mask to the gold fingers on a lot of 100 boards. Naturally, the
100 boards were built up and the problem wasn't discovered until test.
Does anyone know of a way to remove it without losing the gold on the
fingers? Solvent or ??

Thanks.

I tried acetone and strong caustic soda solution, the stuff doesn't budge.

Assuming chemical is useless, and physical is likely to wreck the bits you
want, try optical.

An IR pulsed laser should be a good match for absorption by dark green, and
the gold will reflect it, as will the copper, and the partial trasparency
of the substrate should dissipate safely what isn't absorbed by the resist
layer.

In order of rising price (and general butchness) try hair removal lasers,
tattoo removal lasers, and stone cleaning lasers. Take care not to angle
the thing such that it can reflect off gold or copper right back up the
waveguide, as that will likely damage or even instantly destroy the laser
cavity, especially if it's a direct-from-diode sort of pulsed laser.
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 11:34:41 -0400, JW wrote:

Hello,

We have a problem with one of our circuit board vendors who applied solder
mask to the gold fingers on a lot of 100 boards. Naturally, the 100 boards
were built up and the problem wasn't discovered until test. Does anyone
know of a way to remove it without losing the gold on the fingers?
Solvent or ??

Mechanical means are going to have an impact on the plating, so (unless the
pulsed-laser trick works) I suspect you're stuck with chemical attack.

Dumb question #1: Seeing your board-fab botched their bit, have you tried
actually asking them WTF the stuff is, and then talking to an industrial
chemist?
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

"Lostgallifreyan" wrote in message

I tried acetone and strong caustic soda solution, the stuff doesn't budge.

Thixotropic organic paint remover?

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
Al Al is offline

In article ,
Lostgallifreyan wrote:

"Homer J Simpson" wrote in

"Lostgallifreyan" wrote in message

I tried acetone and strong caustic soda solution, the stuff doesn't
budge.

Thixotropic organic paint remover?

Didn't have any.

Tetramethylguanidine might do the trick. I've used it in decapsulating
plastic encapsulated electronic devices. It really stinks and you need a
hood to use it.

Al
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

ZZactly@ aol.com wrote:
Agreed.

What is it you are agreeing with?

This is NOT Google Groups.
Most people don't see what YOU see
when YOU read Usenet at Google Groups.
http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:y...-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

There is a standard way of postiing to Usenet:
http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:iShBLj9qnZ0J:groups-beta.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=46492%26topic=9253+remove-*-*-*-irrelevant+Usenet+*.*.*.*.*-*-*-*-relevant.*+2006+be.interested+your.reply+Summarize .what.you're.following.up+before.the.original.*.*+ *-for-your-readers

By now
http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...Bt &scoring=d
you should have recognized that paradigm
and emulated what you see the majority of other Usenet users doing.

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/dddce4edea2ff67c?q=Not-always-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*+*-put-*-*-into-context+*-netiquette+completely-unintelligible+zzz+necessary-*-*-*-to-be-understood+*-*-*-someone-who-doesn't-quote+Quoting-*-*-what-you're-replying-to+qq+I-always-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
The part in yellow is called CONTEXT.
The rest of the post explains why it is important.