Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 8640b problem

We have an HP 8640b that will not work in phase lock mode. When you
turn on phase lock, the unit tries to phase lock for about two
seconds, then the display blinks. It does this on all frequency
ranges. Looking at the output, when phase lock turns on, the signal
jumps up in frequecy and keeps climing until the display blinks, then
the signal returns to the original frequency. I haven't opened this
one up yet, figured I'd ask if this is a normal problem before I dig
in.

I have checked for the obvious problems, i.e. cracked gears, loose
boards, burnt components..

All help appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Steve wrote:
We have an HP 8640b that will not work in phase lock mode. When you
turn on phase lock, the unit tries to phase lock for about two
seconds, then the display blinks. It does this on all frequency
ranges. Looking at the output, when phase lock turns on, the signal
jumps up in frequecy and keeps climing until the display blinks, then
the signal returns to the original frequency. I haven't opened this
one up yet, figured I'd ask if this is a normal problem before I dig
in.

I have checked for the obvious problems, i.e. cracked gears, loose
boards, burnt components..

All help appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Does the digital frequency readout work correctly? I've seen many of
these go intermittent or worse.
As you might expect, if the digital readout is flaky, the phase lock is
unlikely to work.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ancient_Hacker wrote:
Steve wrote:
[...]

The readout seems to work correctly, the frequency is accurate and it
isn't intermittent. It seems like the error amplifier is calculating
too high an error and overcorrecting, causing the frequency to drift
until it is no longer phase locked.

Thanks,
Steve Kamego
Calibration Specialty Inc.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Steve wrote:

We have an HP 8640b that will not work in phase lock mode. When you
turn on phase lock, the unit tries to phase lock for about two
seconds, then the display blinks. It does this on all frequency
ranges. Looking at the output, when phase lock turns on, the signal
jumps up in frequecy and keeps climing until the display blinks, then
the signal returns to the original frequency. I haven't opened this
one up yet, figured I'd ask if this is a normal problem before I dig
in.

I have checked for the obvious problems, i.e. cracked gears, loose
boards, burnt components..

All help appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

open the lid, look in the back, there is a power supply board plugged
in, actually boards! , they have LED's that indicates them being on.
you mostly will find one not on. flip the unit over, remove the bottom
lid, there is a can transistor there that likes to have it's screws in
the collector come loose. Tighten..
I have 2 of those units with all the options, they both have that
problem at times.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 20:25:38 -0500, Jamie
t wrote:

Steve wrote:

[...]

I'll give that a shot and let you know, I don't think I'm going to
open it up again this week, too much other work going on. Thanks for
the reply, come to think of it I didn't check all the supplies status
LED's, just made sure the boards were tight.

Regards,
Steve
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 23, 7:25 pm, Jamie
t wrote:
open the lid, look in the back, there is a power supply board plugged
in, actually boards! , they have LED's that indicates them being on.
you mostly will find one not on. flip the unit over, remove the bottom
lid, there is a can transistor there that likes to have it's screws in
the collector come loose. Tighten..
I have 2 of those units with all the options, they both have that
problem at times.

Real Programmers Do things like this.http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

I checked the supplies, all are present and in tolerance, I checked the
transistor and it's good and tight.

Thanks again,
Steve

8640b issues sck0006 Electronics Repair 13 February 2nd 06 05:51 AM
HP 8640B nanu Electronics Repair 5 June 28th 05 05:39 AM
Septic system problem-pump out or drain field problem? Arthur Davis Home Repair 2 January 12th 05 02:17 AM
HP 8640B RF signal generator question? Robert Morein Electronics 1 August 23rd 03 07:24 PM
HP 8640B option 01 modulator problems Robert Morein Electronics Repair 0 August 21st 03 02:19 AM