Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Rabbit Ears Problem

I bought a new TV (regular one not HDTV), and my rabbit ears will pick
up the VHF (2-13), but not the UHF. They worked on my old TV (15 years
old). The ears have three connections, one cable looking with a thin
wire in the middle which was what I used on the other set. I tried
connecting both of the other wire sets to see if one was UHF, but each
time the VHF worked, but not the UHF. I checked in the manual, and they
mentioned buying a combiner for the two sets of wires, and I checked at
Radio Shack, but they were not sure if that would solve the problem.
The big cable from the rabbits ears would appear to be a built-in
combiner. I hardly ever watch the UHF, but was wondering if my rabbit
ears are too old, and and there is a different electronic need or
something.The manual mentioned some electronic settings 75 ohm?

Thanks

Tom

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

IS the TV is set for cable or UHF/VHF?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I bought a new TV (regular one not HDTV), and my rabbit ears will pick
up the VHF (2-13), but not the UHF. They worked on my old TV (15 years
old). The ears have three connections, one cable looking with a thin
wire in the middle which was what I used on the other set. I tried
connecting both of the other wire sets to see if one was UHF, but each
time the VHF worked, but not the UHF. I checked in the manual, and they
mentioned buying a combiner for the two sets of wires, and I checked at
Radio Shack, but they were not sure if that would solve the problem.
The big cable from the rabbits ears would appear to be a built-in
combiner. I hardly ever watch the UHF, but was wondering if my rabbit
ears are too old, and and there is a different electronic need or
something.The manual mentioned some electronic settings 75 ohm?

I'd guess that your rabbit ears are OLD!. Toss them and buy new ones
(again, I'm just guessing).

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The problem was the that I had not selected TV instead of cable. I
guess I should read the "book" they provide, but since I do not have
cable it never occurred to me that you had to program the set before
you began to watch it.

Thanks

Tom

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...

The problem was the that I had not selected TV instead of cable. I
guess I should read the "book" they provide, but since I do not have
cable it never occurred to me that you had to program the set before
you began to watch it.

IIRC, my first cable ready TV came set for UHF but most people have cable
now.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Charles Schuler wrote:
I'd guess that your rabbit ears are OLD!. Toss them and buy new ones
(again, I'm just guessing).

Andy writes:
That makes sense. Since old rabbits will reproduce at a lower
frequency than younger rabbits, it is reasonable to expect that
old rabbit ears will pickup up VHF better than UHF......
I think you have it nailed !!!

L))))))))) Andy

how hard to build a rabbit gunn? Wayne . Woodworking 1 December 24th 05 02:30 AM
Rabbit dump Jim85CJ Home Repair 11 July 5th 05 05:57 PM
OT Rabbit's Ears TV Aerials [email protected] UK diy 12 June 30th 05 12:45 AM
Rabbit ear antenna and HDTV reception moonlite Electronics Repair 4 May 25th 05 01:19 AM
Technical report on rabbits ears Eric Electronics Repair 18 September 12th 04 01:15 AM