Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Computer running slow and locking up

Hi, I am working on a friends computer and the computer is functioning
really slow. Not to mention the computer will just lock up and you
have to reboot. Now the person they had fix their computer orignally
replaced thier hard drive, put more ram in and thats about it. Well
the retard didnt put any fans in the computer so the only fans where
the one on the CPU and the one in the power supply. The computer ran
this way for about a year and started having these problems. I tryed
putting a new harddrive in the computer and tryed formatting it and it
only got so far and stopped. Ohh sorry let me back up a bit and let
you know I did try anti virus and things like that. I even tryed a new
ribbon cable between the hard drive and the mother board and that didnt
work. So Im kinda at a loss and I am wondering if any one has had this
problem or if any one has any ideas on what the fix for the problem
could be or what I should do to go about trouble shooting this one.

Thank you,
RS

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sorry as my beautiful Girlfriend just pointed out, its a crappy Gateway.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Adding RAM memory does not usually require any additional fans/cooling. It
is difficult to diagnose this remotely from your description, but if you
have eliminated viruses, then I'd strongly suspect adware/spyware. Try
downloading the latest Adaware or Spybot Search and Destroy and run a full
diagnostic. Also try deleting any unneeded files using the disk utility and
then run scandisk and defrag afterward. Good luck.

Bob

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

what OS are you using?
what is the speed of the processor?
what is the make of tha HDD?
How old is this computer?

furnish me with these details n maybe i could give you something that
would work!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
Hi, I am working on a friends computer and the computer is functioning
really slow. Not to mention the computer will just lock up and you
have to reboot. Now the person they had fix their computer orignally
replaced thier hard drive, put more ram in and thats about it. Well
the retard didnt put any fans in the computer so the only fans where
the one on the CPU and the one in the power supply. The computer ran
this way for about a year and started having these problems.

Check CPU is BIOS detected at it's correct speed, and the speed of the
RAM is correct for the motherboard. You can get a free utility 'cpu-z'
from
www.cpuid.com to determine this, and gateway's web site info should
give you the spec's of your motherboard.

If correct, I'd blame the CPU fan/heatsink. May be running slowly, or
the heatsink is no longer making much contact with the CPU, as the
thermal paste has fallen off. Take it off (carefully), clean and remount
it with a small bit of thermal paste.

Modern CPU's, if run hot, will run down their internal clock
architecture to save damage - this causes a very slow running machine.

If your hard drive feels hot, it would not hurt to add a fan. The
primary cause of total hard drive failure is excessive heat, and a lot
of manufacturers don't pay much attention to this as they should.

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

Hi,

With a brand new hard drive installed the overheating issue with the old
hard drive has been bypassed, forget about it, pretend it didn't happen.

When you formatted the new hard drive what error did it give you?

When the computer locks up do you hear any clicks, squeaks, beeps,
clanks, or clunks? Does it give any error messages?

When I build/modify systems I put a fan blowing in at the bottom front
and one blowing out at the top rear, above the power supply if possible
or as close to the CPU as possible or there isn't any room above the
power supply.

An excellent place for online computer help is:
http://www.cybertechhelp.net/

Later,

-Landon