Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Perished drive belts

From time to time I have to remove perished drive belts from cassettee decks
etc. They seem to end up in a very gooey/sticky black substance which is
somewhat difficult to remove.
What's the best way/solvent to clean up these perished belts?

Thanks
Russell

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Russ_Verdon" rverdonATetherwaveDOTcomDOTau wrote in message

From time to time I have to remove perished drive belts from cassettee
decks
etc. They seem to end up in a very gooey/sticky black substance which is
somewhat difficult to remove.
What's the best way/solvent to clean up these perished belts?

I'd suggest Goop Off but in Oz perhaps kerosene?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

Russ_Verdon wrote:
From time to time I have to remove perished drive belts from cassettee decks
etc. They seem to end up in a very gooey/sticky black substance which is
somewhat difficult to remove.
What's the best way/solvent to clean up these perished belts?

Thanks
Russell

i've used alcohol. However, first it may help to add some talcum powder
to reduce the 'slimeyness', get the lumps off then clean the rest with
a rag and alcohol. Be sure to get it all off the grooves in any pulleys
- even a little bit of that stuff can spread itself around.
-B.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 10:14:17 +1100, "Russ_Verdon"
rverdonATetherwaveDOTcomDOTau wrote:

From time to time I have to remove perished drive belts from cassettee decks
etc. They seem to end up in a very gooey/sticky black substance which is
somewhat difficult to remove.
What's the best way/solvent to clean up these perished belts?

Thanks
Russell

The fuel for wick cigarette lighters is good for removing this and
many other sticky substances. It's safe on most materials.
Andy Cuffe

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

ahh, the sweet natural bio degradation of man made stuff.

this seems to occur on many black soft/flex "rubbery" parts. time seems to
be key element for this problem.

it gets worse when the gooey stuff migrates onto magnetic heads, brake pads,
drive wheels, gears and other key parts.

it usually is a case of bad material selection by the manufacturer, (
perhaps cost savings?), or a decision that the device it self will have a
limited life to begin with.

excesssive heat, attic storage, moisture, and some types of fungii seem to
accelerate this breakdown process. perhaps highly ionized oxygen does it
too.

best remedy is to replace them before they go completely to a flowing state

any chemists have a comment abt this??

"Russ_Verdon" rverdonATetherwaveDOTcomDOTau wrote in message
From time to time I have to remove perished drive belts from cassettee

decks
etc. They seem to end up in a very gooey/sticky black substance which is
somewhat difficult to remove.
What's the best way/solvent to clean up these perished belts?

Thanks
Russell

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 01:00:37 -0800, Andy Cuffe
wrote:

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 10:14:17 +1100, "Russ_Verdon"
rverdonATetherwaveDOTcomDOTau wrote:

From time to time I have to remove perished drive belts from cassettee decks
etc. They seem to end up in a very gooey/sticky black substance which is
somewhat difficult to remove.
What's the best way/solvent to clean up these perished belts?

Thanks
Russell

The fuel for wick cigarette lighters is good for removing this and
many other sticky substances. It's safe on most materials.
Andy Cuffe

That's white spirit to those who don't remember wick type cig
lighters.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Use Goof Off . Its a very popular item . It stinks and will melt some
plastics but is very fast at cleanig up this kind of goo .

Its time to throw away the alcohol

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ken G. wrote:

Use Goof Off . Its a very popular item . It stinks and will melt some
plastics but is very fast at cleanig up this kind of goo .

Its time to throw away the alcohol

Yeah, but one could always take a sip of
Alcohol while using it to clean!

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

it's Naptha,

commonly found in lumber yards, paint store, hardware stores

same as ciggy lighter fluid, (& no its not the Butane!)

lighter fluid is what? $4.00 for 4 puny ounces, this is same full quart
for $2.99 !!

wrote:

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 10:14:17 +1100, "Russ_Verdon"
rverdonATetherwaveDOTcomDOTau wrote:

From time to time I have to remove perished drive belts from cassettee

decks